• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Unlimited Area Greenhouses

Then I agree that there is no way it can be approved without acceptance of alternate, and 3rd party analysis required. I can only hope that doors will be added.

FM William Burns said:
Texasbo,

>300 for a sprinkled facility and since they most likely will not sprinkle we have to use the >400 for non-sprinkled. Their mist delivery will not come close to a consideration for sprinkled facility however will be existent. The preliminary design has no exit doors on exterior and they will not meet the 60 or 40’ perimeter for single story in [507].

Classified as U [312.1] Greenhouses

Frank,

The roof assembly is steel and glass panel windows and noticed the smoke removal in 09.

JD,

Proposed OL is 100 employees Phase 1 and 200 with Phase 2. The total travel distance from a 12’ interior main aisle/exit access length wise is 896’ with no exit doors proposed and to the exterior walls on both sides is 471’ with no exit doors proposed.

Gene,

Correct on the process and good to know and may drop the name of your firm if OK with you?

Meeting with their DP and Engineering in the morning.

Ok, first I have worked on projects in warehouses where rails and automated systems passed through Horizontal Exits. It is not that hard to design.

Second, any form of performance based design under AMM would neet to include the types of fertilizer used in the process. I did not see anything regarding organic, so you will probably have potassium and nitrogen based products in large quantities.

Does the greenhouse have a dirt or finished floor? Used to be all those chemicals dropping on the greenhouse dirt floor did not matter. Now it does.

If you don't have doors along the perimeter, then how do you meet the requirement for openings along the exterior for fire department access? Are you counting the glass panels as a breakable access?

FBG,

Second, any form of performance based design under AMM would neet to include the types of fertilizer used in the process. I did not see anything regarding organic, so you will probably have potassium and nitrogen based products in large quantities.
Mostly organic and the levels proposed and used as submitted (no concern). The storage will be addressed in accessory storage/processing bldg. review.

Does the greenhouse have a dirt or finished floor? Used to be all those chemicals dropping on the greenhouse dirt floor did not matter. Now it does.

15' concrete exit access aisle 9600’ from end to end and dirt off that for 435’ to each side to the exterior walls. Dirt covered with membrane and rails above that. Run off (city engineering) issue not within my span of control.

If you don't have doors along the perimeter, then how do you meet the requirement for openings along the exterior for fire department access?
Exactly where is that required for this type of Use? (Section please) Remember facility is exempted by 903.2.11.

Are you counting the glass panels as a breakable access?
They are hoping so.

This company has 3 others in TX, CA and CO. I requested locations so I can see how they handled the exiting and access gray matter.

Wonder if they’ll send us (code guys) to go visit one : )