• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Unreasonable Records Request

ICE

I had a request for all of the permits that were ever issued on a large shopping center. The property owner was the one asking for the copies. I was a one man shop so I had to copy the files myself in any spare time. I made it clear that the cost was twenty-five cents per page and it would take a few weeks. I called the guy when I was done and he never came to get the copies. Hundreds of copies. Several years later he came to the office for something else. I told him that he owed the city a $100 for copies...which he paid. Then he asked for those copies. I didn't have the copies. It was several years later and the copies had been tossed out.

The moral of the story is, "Get the money up front."

Last edited:

tmurray

I would talk with them and see if they have a specific request. We can reject broad requests like this.

Rick18071

Sawhorse
Had a request of documents on all houses built in the last 10 years once. We just piled all the boxes of files for the last ten years on a big table and said here you are. He just took photos of the applications. I think he was just a sales person.