• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Unsafe rental?

Kdeccka

we are looking at a very nice home for possible purchase. However there is a second home on the property with tenets in poor condition. It appears to be added on several times without any sort of thought put into it. I find it hard to believe that people live in there. It’s obvious the roof needs replacement as well as the furnace but what concerns us is the septic. The main house has its own septic which works well. However the tenet house only has a tank without a leach field. There isn’t really room to put one. I’m guessing this isn’t up to code by any means or possibly grandfathered in as it’s an old structure in a small town. We would love to rehab the house but it probably would be a total gut. Investing in that would be frugal if we can’t figure out the septic issue. Since we haven’t decided to offer at this point we are avoiding calling a building or home inspector. The homes are owned by an LLC and they advertised the second home as only needing cosmetic TLC. Of course we don’t believe that to be the case. It probably should be leveled. But my question revolves around the septic which is acting more as a holding tank than anything. Can the tenets remain there with the rental in this condition? If we did decide to purchase we’d just like to gain perspective on which way might be the way to go.

Welcome!

The International Private Disposal Sewage Disposal Code, if adopted, has provisions for Holding Tanks in Section 805.

If inside City limits it may be required to connect to the city sewer. You could contact the local city or environmental dept. for more info.

If you're considering making an offer on this property it would probably be a good idea to contact the jurisdiction and request record of any permits (and the status of those) and any history of enforcement. Through requesting this information it might also benefit you if the officials were made aware of the potentially unsafe conditions BEFORE you make an offer.

@ ~ @ ~ @

Kdeccka,

It is strongly recommended that you perform your "due diligence"
on this before making any type of offer........DO contact the local
jurisdiction to inquire about any past or present requirements on
the sewage issue; as well as, any other issues related to the property.

Just sayin'...

& ( ) & ( ) &

@ ~ @ ~ @

Kdeccka,

It is strongly recommended that you perform your "due diligence"
on this before making any type of offer........DO contact the local
jurisdiction to inquire about any past or present requirements on
the sewage issue; as well as, any other issues related to the property.

Just sayin'...

& ( ) & ( ) &
The real estate agent will be doing some investigating along these lines. I do thank you.

If you're considering making an offer on this property it would probably be a good idea to contact the jurisdiction and request record of any permits (and the status of those) and any history of enforcement. Through requesting this information it might also benefit you if the officials were made aware of the potentially unsafe conditions BEFORE you make an offer.
Absolutely! We just don’t want to raise a red flag too soon as tenets are involved. If they have no problem living there who are we to interfere? The plan was, if we were inclined to offer then we would have it totally inspected to make an educated decision. The real estate agent will be doing a bit of investigation. He’s not the listing agent so he would also like to know before showing the property to any more of his clients.

If they have no problem living there who are we to interfere?
The new potential landlord. I understand and respect that position, but on this side of the counter we are first and foremost concerned about life safety. They might "have no problem living there..." until they do.

I would suggest that you do your own due diligence alongside your broker. He may not be the listing agent, but he is biased.
We certainly will. Fortunately the realtor has been extremely honest with us. There was a problem getting together with the tenant to see the inside of the rental and he was able to convince them to let us in. He went in with us and suggested a review by an engineer (for the roof which is bowing) and cautioned us with the expense it could be going in. Our problem is that since we remain undecided we don’t want to do any harm to the tenant at this point. Personally I believe the responsibility should fall on the present owner to make it a safe environment, but obviously they aren’t going to do anything with it. It was advertised as a second home needing cosmetic TLC which is farther than the truth.

Personally I believe the responsibility should fall on the present owner to make it a safe environment but obviously they aren’t going to do anything with it. It was advertised as a second home needing cosmetic TLC which is farther than the truth.
Make it a condition of the sale that a C of O is issued for both buildings prior to closing.

C of O is no warranty as to condition. What is so attractive about the property to not just walk away?