• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Updated Chicago Code - Accessory Use

CAR

SAWHORSE
CHI 502.2.3.png
Hi, is anyone here familiar with The Chicago Building Code? Specifically the new 2019 one adopting many of the IBC provisions (see screen cap above). If I have a floor where my tenant is building a new office space and they want a large break room/lounge. This would be a single floor tenant (B occupancy). Does the above mean that our 'accessory A' occupancy can be as much as 25% of the floor area? Or are we still being limited to 5% for accessory?

Thanks!

I think they are meaning 25% of the story in which the accessory occupancy is located, nor more than 5% of the total floor area (the aggregate floor area across multiple stories) of the primary occupancy. The most restrictive appears to apply, so if you had a single-story building, then the most it could cover is 5% of the story. With multiple stories, you could have 25% of a single story, but that would mean that you would have to have a 5-story building with no accessory occupancies on the other four stories.

I think they are meaning 25% of the story in which the accessory occupancy is located, nor more than 5% of the total floor area (the aggregate floor area across multiple stories) of the primary occupancy. The most restrictive appears to apply, so if you had a single-story building, then the most it could cover is 5% of the story. With multiple stories, you could have 25% of a single story, but that would mean that you would have to have a 5-story building with no accessory occupancies on the other four stories.

Thank you. That's how I'm reading it. Good to know I'm not the only one. The 25% seemed generous (given IBC is 10%). What throws me off is that typically in the projects we do are in high rises. We'll have the info for the floor we're working on but don't usually get info for other floors and how their square footage is spread by use. So it'd be vey hard to know if we're over that 5% in a 40 story building.

I'm not sure of the specifics of the Chicago building code, but, if it's anything close to what the IBC offers, a 40-story building would need to be of Type IA construction, which allows unlimited height and area for all occupancy groups (except some Group H); thus, making the accessory occupancy requirements moot.