• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Use gutter as catwalk in canopy system?

gnarkill283

We have an exterior canopy that will need to be accessed by maintenance personnel from above with catwalks. OSHA has a minimum requirement of 18" width for catwalks which we could make the inside width of our structural guttering except there would be only a 8" opening to that 18" clearance. Could the gutters act as the catwalk or if we somehow terminate the canopy fabric outboard of the gutter could the catwalk work with a 6" gutter lip or do we need to create a whole separate catwalk system above the gutters? These catwalks only occur at valleys and there would be tie back safety anchors running along the guttering or catwalks. Detail of the gutter here: Gutter Detail Appreciate any info thanks.

if you can get 18 inches clear possibly, what does OSHA require for a walking surface, is smooth acceptable?

Nice. Once you get you foot past the 8” neckdown, it will act like a t-slot on a slat wall. Very safe, you won’t fall off … but you might break an ankle when you fall.

Here in lies the question they call out 18 inches for the walking surface minimum. by my review of the walking surface of your link you have only 8 inches.

I see the linked design much like 2 stair flights intersecting a lower walkway.

I would not accept it, nor would I think OSHA would either, I know with my pigeon feet I could never get by boots in and out clean and walk straight and stay balanced, especially while carrying tools and supplies to work on something.

So the catwalk has to be an entirely separate system attached to the structural guttering which could look something like this: https://ibb.co/GHB4HkV here is a real world example: https://ibb.co/9bLhKQZ Anyone know if these catwalks can be accessed from a 20' ladder? Or a number to call where I could get such answers? Thanks