• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades
2012 IBC
[A] 104.9 Approved materials and equipment.
Materials, equipment and devices approved by the building official shall be constructed and installed in accordance with such approval.

[A] 104.9.1 Used materials and equipment.
The use of used materials which meet the requirements of this code for new materials is permitted. Used equipment and devices shall not be reused unless approved by the building official.

2012 IRC
R104.9 Approved materials and equipment.
Materials, equipment and devices approved by the building official shall be constructed and installed in accordance with such approval.

R104.9.1 Used materials and equipment.
Used materials, equipment and devices shall not be reused unless approved by the building official.

2012 IMC
Hydronic piping
1202.2 Used materials.
Reused pipe, fittings, valves or other materials shall be clean and free of foreign materials and shall be approved by the code official for reuse.

2012 IPC is silent on used materials

Mountain Man, so how are you going to enforce it, you approve a set of plans for a new house, you come out to inspect it and find I've used lots of used lumber, in many cases the grade stamp has been cut off, what do you do?

Last edited:
Mountain Man, so how are you going to enforce it, you approve a set of plans fro a new house, you come out to inspect it and find I've use lots of used lumber, in many cases the grade stamp has been cut off, what do you do?

That's a really good question.

For me it would depend on the contractor. If they could identify what acceptable grading stamps were. A while back we had a surplus of lumber that was destined for you folks down there when there was an economic downturn. All of a sudden, Canadian lumber mills had lots of lumber sitting around with the extra "S" added to the SPF mark. We started finding it in roof trusses of all places. You want to see a truss company get excited...tell them they used the wrong grade of lumber to manufacture their trusses.

Just as an FYI, SPF South is about 15% weaker than what we use up here.

Reading the code years ago every piece of lumber had to have a grade stamp, we always cut blocks and other short pieces off longer stamped pieces and it's always been let go, I don't think that has been changed. I'd say inspectors have always exercised discretion on lumber, except for Tiger.

There you go, kicking Tiger when he's down; not nice conarb.
At least he didn't do an OJ.

There you go, kicking Tiger when he's down; not nice conarb.
At least he didn't do an OJ.
Yeah but he kicks old people in wheelchairs, he loves sticking sticks and canes into their spokes, then laughs. He's another Hillary, 'We came, we saw, he died, ha,ha,ha, ha, ha, ha,ha,ha, ha, ha, ha,ha,ha, ha, ha, ha,ha,ha, ha, ha."