• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Using Rope on Staircase

MichaelT

Residential Balusters:

I have a new home and they want to use rope between balusters. I know the rope would have to be where a 4" sphere would not pass through it. If the balusters are close enough and it would meet code for strength, does anyone see any other issues with the rope?

I have seen aircraft cable used. R104.11 allows for alternative materials, if it can be proven to meet the intent of the code the BO could approve.

I viewed a show where they used old whisky barrel boards and spaced them to meet code, not sure if they get inspections or not, it's TV.

may work initially but will stretch over time. Use cable and wrap it if that is the look you want.

properly spaced oosik! Just kidding

Just yesterday a call came in. Conversation started out - what are the accepted materials for guards for stairs? To which I said the code does not say so it could be lots of things. Then I listened to a tale of how he used seine net but an appraiser shot it down and his refi is held up based upon that appraisers comment. He beefed it up for the appraiser but the underwriters still don't like.

I can here Billy Joel, Down-easter Alexa in the background! Probably got a Sailfish on the wall somewhere like Jars place!

If your heart is set on it, the simplest way to get past the underwriter is with an engineering report showing it complies as installed.

The issue you will have with using non-common commercial guard products is that the manufacture of the netting has not designed their product to function as a guard, nor do they have a specification for how to use the product as guard infill. As such the underwriter is simply saying we don't believe it complies with code, your part is either to prove it does, by enlisting an engineer to prove it does as installed or change it to a product they will accept.

The question of does it comply as installed in your home, can only be determined through engineering reports.

interesting - because I just had a conversation with one engineer who was calling in about a different subject and I brought up a this stairway. I was asking the question of could/would and engineered report be done - and his response was "why would anybody want to spend all the money for testing!"

interesting - because I just had a conversation with one engineer who was calling in about a different subject and I brought up a this stairway. I was asking the question of could/would and engineered report be done - and his response was "why would anybody want to spend all the money for testing!"
Simply, if someone wants the look they want, engineering is the only way to get it a lot of times.

Depending on the project location engineering has become common place.

To your point if the OP, is just trying to save a buck, then it would definitely not be cost effective.

As to the rope, we have sleeved braided rope over 3/16" solid rods for clients, when a look is wanted it simply were there is a will there is away.