• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Variance - State of Michigan

indyarchyguy

I have a client that has a project which is on the cusp of a variance requirement for an addition to an existing building. It is located within a village that does not have a building official for Class I structures. Could anyone direct me to which group I would need to discuss the situation with and to help determine the process for this? I am assuming it would need to be presented to the state plan review/commission for approval/denial. Thank you!

What code and edition applies? You can generally request a modification under IBC 104.10 or alternative methods under IBC 104.11 if the strict letter of the code can't be met. The modification or alternative method must still meet the intent of the code, and cannot lessen health, accessibility, life & fire safety, and structural requirements. If it is turned down then it can be appealed.