• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Vehicle gate

Sifu

SAWHORSE
Proposed vehicular access gate to screen an area outside of a building (not to secure the area). The gate is for use by authorized personnel only, and will use a remote for opening and closing it. The issue I see is that the area contains an exit from the building, and without the gate offers free egress directly to the public way. With a gate installed that free egress is compromised. 2018 IBC 1010.2 requires gates used in an MOE to comply with the door requirements of the code. IBC 1010.1.4.3 for special purpose horizontal doors contains requirements that may work. Is this a compliant path? Reading the MFR info, it seems to "recommend" a separate pedestrian access, but I can't find a requirement in the code or elsewhere. Anybody experienced anything like this? Any suggestions?

Does anyone have a copy of UL325, which may contain a pedestrian gate requirement?

Hum

Sometimes I look at fenced areas other times no. Guess need to look at them 100% of the time.
I guess I think there are other exits.

Anyway how far can they get away from the building?? In the fenced area.

Special purpose horizontal sliding doors are the doors that are usually in a pocket in the wall and then automatically project to provide fire protection during a fire alarm, so it's a different animal. For the projects that I've worked on that had a gate outside of a required exit discharge, the gate was required to meet the egress requirements, except when there was enough space within the enclosed exterior space to qualify as a safe dispersal area.

The safe dispersal area is in question, and not something I am comfortable with for various reasons. I also questioned the use of that section for this application but without another I am at a loss. I think UL 325 may require a separate pedestrian access though not necessarily for MOE from inside, but to prevent the use of the vehicle gate by pedestrians as a safety measure. If this is the case I think it can serve both purposes.

You do say when you have encountered this that the gate was required to meet the egress requirements..........what I don't know are which requirements. 1010.1.4.3 seems to be the closest applicable section.

If it's a big sliding vehicular access gate, I think it would be very difficult to make it code-compliant for pedestrian egress. Is there any possibility of having a separate pedestrian gate that could meet the code requirements for an egress door?

That is the approach I am currently taking. I spoke with the applicant and explained that without a separate pedestrian access it would be awfully difficult to meet the operational constraints of 1010.1.4.3 if that was even a viable option. I just met them on site and I think I showed them an easy solution for adding a pedestrian door. Do you know if UL325 requires it?

I do not think your answer is in UL325.

If there is a required exit from the building, the person is supposed to get to public way or other Approved location.

So technically if you walk out of the building and see a sliding gate, probably should be a code compliant pedestrian gate near by.

Not always enforced.

Hum

Sometimes I look at fenced areas other times no. Guess need to look at them 100% of the time.
I guess I think there are other exits.

Anyway how far can they get away from the building?? In the fenced area.

This is a little convoluted. The area isn't completely fenced but the path out is less than ideal. It is bounded by a partial fence and a thickly wooded area without a path. The area also contains a loading dock, a small AC condenser and an emergency generator. I have a call in to the FD to discuss this. I know all this because it is outside my town building! The request has been to "screen" the area because a Town councilman doesn't like his view. I think they can provide a doorway in the existing fence that gets people in and out on a compliant path to the public way but I would really like the UL standard to reinforce my position.

What is wrong with the wording in IBC?

Similar to a restaurant with a large fenced patio, and second exit is required from the exit through the patio, through the fence.

From RGLA,

I know you know this by heart::

Lastly, the exit discharge is defined as “that portion of a means of egress system between the termination of an exit and a public way.” The exit discharge must be directly to the exterior at grade, or it must provide a direct path to grade. But just getting to the outside at grade level doesn’t complete the exit discharge, you must get to the public way, which is defined as “a street, alley or other parcel of land open to the outside air leading to a street, that has been deeded, dedicated or otherwise permanently appropriated to the public for public use.” Components of the exit discharge may include stairs, ramps, doors, gates, and turnstiles, and must comply with all requirements for maintaining egress width, illumination, accessibility, and continuity.

'Key" word here folks is "accessible", Either provide an area of refuge on site within the fence or the POT must be accessible and if with a gate the gate must be accessible, 4' wide max. leaf with accessible hardware and manuvering clearances. We run into this on school sites all the time.

Already two accessible means of egress from the space and out of the building so I don't think that is a concern. I am requiring a compliant pedestrian access, in this case not a gate just an opening since the goal isn't to secure the space, just screen it for aesthetics. The gate will also have a battery back-up, and be connected to the generator and fire alarm. Upon alarm or power failure the gate will be programmed to fail open. Hopefully this covers all bases. FD is on board as well.