• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

vehicles parked in warehouses

cda

Sawhorse 123
Does anyone have an admendment or other that limits the number of vehicles in say an office/warehouse, like

for lawn business, or plumbing business or the like??

Don't see it as that big of an issue as parking gargages are generally labeled as S-2............ If the diesign criteria for the warehouse is for S-1 and I use NATURAL ventilation as allowed by the code, I don't see this as being a big issue.

( Don't like it, but the S-2 classifacation is a lesser hazard than S-1. )

I’m not taking anything away from BB’s posting since I would tend to agree if having to use the IFC but being a 1/101 jurisdiction we have the advantage in a incident like this to use the provisions of 101 associated to the mixing of hazards of contents in a building in a different format:

6.2.1.3*

For the purpose of this Code, where different degrees of hazard of contents exist in different parts of a building or structure, the most hazardous shall govern the classification, unless hazardous areas are separated or protected as specified in Section 8.7 and the applicable sections of Chapters 11 through 43.

A.6.2.1.3 Under the provision of 6.2.1.3, any violation of the requirements of Chapters 11 through 42 for separation or protection of hazardous operation or storage would inherently involve violation of the other sections of the Code, unless additional egress facilities appropriate to high hazard contents were provided.

With that established; a general purpose warehouse’ fire area that is or may be separated and or protected for low or ordinary hazard contents introduces commodities of a higher degree of hazard (not incidental) would kick in the need to address or protect the building as specified above including but not limited to additional rated separation, egress and or protection or the option of not storing the increased hazard. A couple of vehicles being stored with ignition/power supply removed and flammable/combustible liquids removed may or could be considered as ordinary and possibly low but I really get concerned when they want to make extra money in the winter storing fiberglass boats etc. (I know it doesn’t apply to the IFC users) but the question was “other” and this meets the other category in my humble opinion :)