• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Venting of gas water heaters

T

texasmarine

Can you tell me where in the code it states that a gas water heater has to be vented through a roof

Section G2427 IRC 2006 describes venting of equipment including terminations. Keep in mind some appliances can/are direct vent and may terminate thru the wall if designed and approved for that type of installation.

TexasMarine Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service!

texasmarine,

Welcome to the Codes Forum! :cool: Also, "thanks for your service" too!

Water heaters are not required to be vented through the roof. It just

seems to be easier to meet the vent piping / exhaust location requirements

than going out through a side wall. Also, [ typically ] in our "neck of the

woods", most water heaters are installed in the attics and the installers

simply go through the roof.

Manufacturer's specs for the appliance and the vent, in addition to the code requirements.

And, welcome to the forum also.

If it is a gas water heater with a b-vent it should go through the roof. Otherwise I agree with all above and most importantly, welcome to the forum.

There are even some water heaters that aren't vented at all now.

2006 Fuel Gas Code. 503.6.8 Exterior wall penetrations. A gas vent extending through an exterior wall shall not terminate adjacent to the wall or below eaves or parapets, except as provided in Sectiontions 503.2.3 and 503.3.3.

503.2.3 Direct vent appliances

503.3.3 Mechanical draft systems

Jobsaver said:
2006 Fuel Gas Code. 503.6.8 Exterior wall penetrations. A gas vent extending through an exterior wall shall not terminate adjacent to the wall or below eaves or parapets, except as provided in Sectiontions 503.2.3 and 503.3.3.503.2.3 Direct vent appliances

503.3.3 Mechanical draft systems
Hi people,

I am newbie here and this is my very first post. You people are just awesome. I am a professional plumber and I think that in near future I am definitely going to be benefited through this forum. Thanks for making such a great forum for codes.

Hey,

Do you know plumbing codes is really most important for your home that makes a good facility for all us? The plumbing service related to windows and water pipes and plumbing codes. Currently I am using angieslist services for plumbing codes at my home.

-----------

plumbing boston