• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Venting

Mech

2009 IPC

I have a building without any soil or waste stacks. There are several fixtures being vented on a branch vent. Where the branch turns vertical and passes through the roof, is this portion still sized as a branch vent (Section 916.2) or is it sized as a vent stack (Section 916.1 and Table 916.1), using the building drain size as the soil / waste stack size?

916.2 Vents other than stack vents or vent stacks. The diameter of individual vents, branch vents, circuit vents and relief vents shall be at least one-half the required diameter of the drain served. The required size of the drain shall be determined in accordance with Table 710.1 (2). Vent pipes shall not be less than 11/ 4 inches (32 mm) in diameter. Vents exceeding 40 feet (12 192 mm) in developed length shall be increased by one nominal pipe size for the entire developed length of the vent pipe. Relief vents for soil and waste stacks in buildings having more than 10 branch intervals shall be sized in accordance with Section 914.2.

916.1 Size of stack vents and vent stacks. The minimum required diameter of stack vents and vent stacks shall be determined from the developed length and the total of drainage fixture units connected thereto in accordance with Table 916.1, but in no case shall the diameter be less than one-half the diameter of the drain served or less than 11/ 4 inches (32 mm).

Thanks.

Sized as a vent stack. The Commentary is helpful with alot of diagrams. try Figure 914.2 in the 2012 IPC commentary.

FLSTF01: Is the 2012 commentary Figure 914.2 referring to Circuit Venting? Unfortunately, I only have access to the 2009 IPC commentary, which does not have a Figure 914.2; 2009 Section 914 talks about relief venting. The Circuit Venting figures in the 2009 commentary show a vent stack (dashed line) extending below the fixtures being circuit vented, possibly indicating there is a soil or waste stack that was not shown??? :(

Mech,

If someone better at this doesn't provide an answer will the following definitions help?

BRANCH VENT. A vent connecting one or more individual vents with a vent stack or stack vent.

VENT STACK. A vertical vent pipe installed primarily for the purpose of providing circulation of air to and from any part of the drainage system.

& = &

Mech,

So that we can attempt to answer your question(s),
is it possible for you to post a drawing or 3D view
of your application ?

Thanks !

* & *

north star - Attached is a (hopefully) simple sketch.

There is a lav, with 1 dfu at point A, and a water closet with 4 dfu at point C. Distances between points are shown. The distance from each vent connection to the open air is 45 feet.

As I understand the plumbing code, the following is my thought process for sizing the vent piping.

Using section 916.2, the minimum vent pipe sizes are 1-1/2" from A-B (individual vent), 2-1/2" from C-B (individual vent), and 2-1/2" from B-E (branch vent). The minimum vent sizes are 1/2 the drain size plus one nominal size since the vent runs exceed 40 feet from connection to the drainage system to the termination point outside the building.

Using section 916.1, if the section of pipe from D-E could be a called a vent stack and the 4" sewer could be called a soil or waste stack, then the minimum vent sizes would be 1-1/4" from A-B (individual vent) and 2" from C-D (individual vent) and 2" from B-D (branch vent). The minimum vent sizes are 1/2 the drain size since the vent runs are less than 40 feet from the connection to the drain system to the vent stack (A-D and C-D). The minimum vent size would be 2-1/2" from D-E (vent stack) for a 4" soil or waste stack, 5 dfu (less than 43 dfu), and a run of 45 feet (less than 85 feet but more than 35 feet) from the furthest connection point to the drainage system to the open air.

@ + @ + @

Mech,

Thank you for the drawing........That helps me GREATLY

in looking at your application.

I believe that you are correct in your knowledge &
application of the venting.

As I understand the Plbg. Code requirements, ...from
A-B would be [ min. ] 1-1/4", ...from C-E would be

[ min. ] 2-1/2", and you would be compliant for what is
indicated in the drawing......Once a minimum pipe size
has been introduced in to the venting system, you
never decrease it all the way to the point of
termination [ i.e. - open air ].

Describing the various Vent Stacks vs. Stack Vents vs.
Branch Vents vs Soil Stacks vs Individual Vents would
take me some time to get all of those fully
comprehended, and regurgitated back to you.

Does this help ?

@ + @ + @

north star

Thank you for looking at this example. Are you saying I can size the system either way - 916.2 vs 916.1 or just that I comprehend the two methods :)?

From A-B, you stated 1-1/4" min. Can you confirm? I just want to make sure that wasn't a typo. I proof read my post a few times and kept finding mistakes.

Thanks

2012 IPC commentary 914.2 shows circuit venting. Branch vents don't go through the roof, they connect to a vent stack or a stack vent. It's confusing at best. I also think you have a good handle on the situation-don't get too caught up in the terminology. Most old time plumbers just know what works and what doesn't-and it usually works out fine.

& ~ &

Mech,

I think that you comprehend both methods, but IMO,
...916.1 seems to be the path to compliance.

To simplify the application somewhat, 2" piping could
be installed from A-B, and then 2-1/2" everything else.
More air in to the system, in this case, is a good thing.
Because there are so few dfu's involved, ..the 2-1/2"
size piping will work just fine.

The 1-1/4" size of pipe from A-B is from Table 916.1.

In your OP, you mentioned that "there are several
fixtures being vented off of this branch vent", however,
you only show two fixtures in your diagram.......If
there are more fixtures being vented and connecting
to the greater whole venting system, I would want to
see the whole kaboodle before making a final
determination of vent sizing.

$ ~ $

north star:
Thank you for following up with your replies. You are correct that the plumbing system I originally mentioned has several fixtures. It has 2 water closets, 2 lavs, and a floor drain. Instead of calling my doodle a "sketch", I should have called it an "example" as I tried to make a simple example to discuss the code requirements. The real reason for my post was not to verify this one system, but rather confirm / reinforce my understanding of the code so that I can then apply it to bigger systems.

I believe I follow your reasoning of 1-1/4" vent pipe, for a 2" drainage pipe, as that can carry 12 dfu a distance of 30 feet (per Table 916.1).

Paul Sweet:
Thank you for your question / observation. I believe you are correct that 2-1/2" pipe is not readily available and that 3" would be needed. Similarly, I do not see 2-1/2" dwv fittings in my catalog. I used 2-1/2" as that would be the code minimum.

I do not use 1-1/4" vent pipe. I specify 1-1/2" as I was told it is not much more expensive to use this slightly larger (and better) size pipe.

FLSTF01:
Thanks for the confirmation of my code understanding. I will have to study the venting diagrams you mentioned.

Francis Vineyard
Thanks for chiming in with the definitions. Given enough time, they start to make sense to me.