• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Vote on establishing an Association

Uncle Bob

Please use this topic to vote yes or no only; without comment.

Provide your opinions and comments on "New Forum Ideas".

"First I would like to thank Jeff; for his coming to our aid when we needed this website most. If he had not been here, and been prepared; we would be scattered to the four winds; perhaps to have lost contact with each other forever.

I have spoken to Jeff and a few others about the future of our new home. I believe we are in agreement that "as is" the site is vulnerable to being lost in the future. The burden of maintaining the site; and being responsibe for providing for it's growth is too much to ask of one person.

I don't see how we could go back to the ICC website and trust them to maintain the integrety of the Bulletin Board, after what they have done; even if they restored the old board to it's former glory.

Therefore; I propose the following:

1. That we form a non-profit Association to maintain this new home of ours; to insure it's growth and survival.

2. That we appoint; from within our group; a Board to organize the Association. This Board would consist of permenant members; that would only be replaced by their decision to give up their seat; in order to maintain the integrety of our founding principles; that lead us here.

3. That we charge this Board with the responsibility of forming the Association; securing the legal status of a non-profit organization, and meeting the legal responsibilties to the IRS and any other State and/or Federal Athorities having jurisdiction.

4. That Jeff be honored as our Founder.

I believe that without doing something to insure our future; we will outgrow the ability of this site to sustain us.

As for me; I am absoulutely worthless; at any of the above. I see my place as the old man with the stick; prodding and poking; until the better qualified succeed.

Such an organization is not out of the question and not beyond our capabilities. We have among our members; several outstanding leaders; who have proven themselves in their chosen profession; and who have the knowledge and experience to guarantee our success.

This is not the time to stand still or fall back; but, to go forward and provide a place where sincere professionals from across this country and from all professions can come together and share our ideas, expertise, experience, and knowledge to make a difference; and overcoming our differences.

Therefore, I pledge $1000.00 to the Association on the day of it's founding. To insure that I am serious; on the day that the Board, that will be charged with the responsibility of forming the Association; is selected and confirmed; I will send the money to Peach; who I believe many of you know and trust; to either present it to the Association or if the Association does not come to fruition; return it to me.

Uncle Bob"

Unfortunately, annonymous voting is not possible at this time; and for crying out loud you know by now, you can't hurt my feelings. ;)

Vote yes or no only here; and provide your comments on "New Forum Ideas".

Subject: Establishing a non-profit Association

Re: Vote on establishing an Association

I vote 'Yes !'

Uncle Bob,

Has the 'peach' agreed to be our new Secretary/ Treasurer,

or is she automatically elected by proxy vote? :lol:

There was a poll option that you could have used and allowed people to vote anonymously. I am trying to figure out if I can put it in place by editing this post. If not, maybe you can repost it.

Jeff,

Thanks, I didn't know that. Since I've started here; those that wish to vote no; and remain anonymous; may abstain and if they wish to publish their views they can do so by posting on "New Forum Ideas". If there are not enough members that are interested; I will drop the subject. Hopefully, this voting topic will not be distracted by discussions.

Uncle Bob

I vote Yes!

Since most of us have been involved in the past I believe we have faith and trust in each other. Those who want to remain not known that is fine. Those that want to remain in the background that is also fine. Some of us will have to step forward to make this happen. We may argue positions of code interpretation, sprinklers etc, but I feel we can fine commen ground on the issue of association.

I vote yes.

It doesn't have to be big right now but it can be used to help officially maintain this forum and certain costs.

Finding a domain name that is available on the .com and .org will not be easy.

I already own IAPCEO.com and .org

I already own IAPHI.com and .org

International Association of Professional Code Enforcement Officials

International Association of Professional Home Inspectors (not a good fit)

I also secured

IAPBCO.com & .org

IAPBI.com & .org

International Association of Professional Building Code Officials

International Association of Professional Building Inspectors

IABCO was only available in .com, not .org which is important for a non-profit to have both

Yes

And a suggested name is Code Officials Forum.org which is currently available according to GoDaddy.com

A qualitative - YES

I suggest we announce professional dues of $13,495 per year for full privileges but free for those who only wish to post on the Bulletin Board. (what ARE full privileges, anyway????) :?

How about IAPOCBB?

International Association of Professional Officials and Code Bueacratcs and Businessmen :)

Or, otherwise know as:

I'm A Poster On the Code Bulletin Board :lol:

Gene

(aka genebko)

yes.. except for the professional dues part..

jar546 said:
I also securedIAPBCO.com & .org

IAPBI.com & .org

International Association of Professional Building Code Officials

International Association of Professional Building Inspectors

IABCO was only available in .com, not .org which is important for a non-profit to have both
How about - .net

Gene Boecker said:
A qualitative - YESI suggest we announce professional dues of $13,495 per year for full privileges but free for those who only wish to post on the Bulletin Board. (what ARE full privileges, anyway????) :?

How about IAPOCBB?

International Association of Professional Officials and Code Bueacratcs and Businessmen :)

Or, otherwise know as:

I'm A Poster On the Code Bulletin Board :lol:

Gene

(aka genebko)
$13,495 a year from one of us is steep. We vote Gene to be the Chief Financier and charge him with the duty of funding the organization the organization $13,500 out of his personal pocket.

:lol: