• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Vote on establishing an Association

Re: Vote on establishing an Association

Yes, in principle.

I agree with the principle to continue to foster discussion among various code users through an independent group that would maintain an independent site, which would be anticipated to promote and facilitate a similar online environment as that which many of us experienced prior to this week through the ICC. Though we may agree that an independent group is appropriate, branding and identifying that group so that membership and/or participation in the group is not objectionable to those who are members or participants (there seems to be a consensus that there is value in enabling participation by non-members). I think it is also important to emphasize that the group is not Anti-ICC or Anti-NFPA, but rather seeking to provide another avenue of professional development, networking, and sharing of opinions, interpretations and experiences related to the application and enforcement of various code provisions.

I understand that a significant purpose, maybe the purpose, of the group is to maintain an electronic bulletin board. There also seems to be general agreement that the bb must be extremely user friendly, able to be searched, regulated for inappropriate content while facilitating professional discussions of potentially controversial and adverse opinions - for which an independent organization makes a lot of sense.

This has the potential to be even more valuable, not only encompassing public and private entities, but also providing more opportunity for spanning the ICC - NFPA chasm, to include users of both authoring agencies and associated referenced standards which are encountered through the administration and application of local codes and ordinances, and for the group to develop proposed code amendments based on involvement of a wider cross-section of users, rather than a specific user group. Such a group would definitely be worth a nominal membership fee in order to provide for the maintenance and operation of the bb.

Therefore, it is essential to recognize that in naming the group, because membership could likely include public employees, private designers, owners, product reps, and others, the name should appropriately reflect this mix, or not deter involvement from those who may otherwise not perceive themselves to fall within the purview of the title of the organization.

Therefore, I would tend toward a more generic name, such as CSA (Codes and Standards Association) or ICSUG (Independent Code and Standards Users Group), for which incidentally http://www.CSAssociation.org and http://www.ICSUG.org appear to be available.

Please read the OP prior to voting;

"Please use this topic to vote yes or no only; without comment.

Provide your opinions and comments on "New Forum Ideas"."

Thank You,

The Originator

After looking over the responses I see a majority of yes votes. I offer the following as a suggestion.

To form such a non profit group we will need some legal advise an thus at the end of the day a lawyer!

We will need a place to file such document. A state of choice for incorporation.

Having had several corps,LLC's and Partnerships throughout my business experience I would suggest the following. My first choice for incorporations would be the state of Delaware. One it is close to me and the second they have the best rules and are corp friendly.

Next, I have at least a dozen friends,x-partners and business associates that are high profile Attorneys. I will be having lunch with one tomorrow and will be fishing with another on either Saturday or Sunday. I can offer and feel sure that both will be willing to help. If not pro-bono at least at a reduced rate.

Some food for thought!

Here is my first choice check Dion out!

http://www.beasleyfirm.com/beasley_law_ ... G._Rassias

We have been here a week; and the vote is 21 for out of (now) 119 members (which is far from a favorable vote); in a post that is lost in a sea of posts and with all the new folks here that may really be oblivious to what originally brought us here; I will back off my proposal and let Jeff, the owner and our benefactor, or someone with leadership and organizational skills; and/or the forum decide it's future.

I will be here for support if needed.

Uncle Bob

I don't think there is a lack of interest. Please don't look at the percentages because not all of the people who have registered have posted or surfed the board yet. Not every person reads every thread and some are interested in communication on a forum, not membership in an organization. Much like many of the posters at the ICC forum did not have membership.

The organization is a great idea and in my opinion, will happen. We all know the saying that Rome was not built in a day and neither will any organization. I am committed but it is not on my priority plate right now since I am still in my busy season and just getting this board up and running and maintained is taking a bit of my time.

I feel favorable that just about every single post was positive for the forming of an association. It is hard to get going when we are in the complete infancy of this board alone. Patience and tolerance will have to take priority right now until we get an idea where we are right now.

I, for one, do not post usually on items if it is okay by me. If I am against something...then I will voice my opinion. By my silence, I am in agreement with the others. Others may have the same feeling or don't care one way or the other.

Okay to make it official....I agree! :)

Mule said:
I, for one, do not post usually on items if it is okay by me. If I am against something...then I will voice my opinion. By my silence, I am in agreement with the others. Others may have the same feeling or don't care one way or the other.Okay to make it official....I agree! :)
I agree with what Mule does, but I'm violating that by submitting this post. :lol:

I agree with Jeff! It is not so much a case of leadership or urgency. It is a fine suggestion and it will take some time to deal with it. The BB is growing everyday and I believe the first priority is to find a way to divide the work load. Jeff is burning the candle at both ends trying to manage this BB and his business. The nucleus of those who voted are from the old BB. For me that speaks volumes. If I saw an equal amount of NO votes I would be concerned.

Here are a few ideas to ponder UB:

What is going to be the Mission?

How will the association be structured?

How many seats will make up a proposed Board?

How will the Board vote on matters of operations?

How will we pay for all this?

Do we Have a business plan?

How will the Board be elected?

How will the membership vote?

What will be the BY LAWS of the origination ? If any?

Right now we are asking only for support of an idea for an ASSOCIATION!!! To me pretty basic!

Some may be asking the question an association of what? Not even considering voting because they don't understand the basic reasons.

Others may be just happy to post a question and not care about any of the rest.

Some food for thought!

we are young and a fine group have followed! Between us we will figure all this out!

I am still trying to figure out all the toys!

:cool: I too would like to see an Association established. A group that would speak and work for us.