• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

WA State Energy Code Question

Glennman CBO

Silver Member
I'm not very familiar with the commercial energy plan submittal process, and its accompanying energy loss trade off calculations, but I have a project where the designer is sayng that they can eliminate the typical R-10 slab insulation because they have either added insulation in another area, or have eliminated some windows, or what have you. I don't know what approach they have actually taken (if any), as I'm not the plans examiner, but the plans examiner has told me not to worry about it since they have made a trade off.

My question is this...can the slab insulation be eliminated in a trade off? It seems to me that they can make trades with windows, wall thickness, adding attic insulation here and taking it away there, but can they simply remove slab insulation?

We are regulated by the Washington State Energy Code, so this is obviously not an IECC question, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Re: WA State Energy Code Question

Using the IECC, they can with a COMcheck, using Chapter 506, or using ASHRAE 90.1.

I am not in WA so I am not familiar with any WA amendments.

Glennman,

You could ask Gary Nordeen he is with the Washington State University Energy Program his phone number is 360 956-2040 or e-mail him.

Rick

Thanks Rick. I used to be on a training committee for Mybuildingpermit.com and have met Gary several times. I'll try to call him. Thanks for the number.