• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Waffle irons

If you've determined a Type I hood is not needed, the next step would be going to a Type II for the heat and steam. If you are under the IMC, 507.3 for Type II hoods actually allows for not having a hood over electric appliances if the heat and steam load is accounted for in the HVAC system design and 100 square feet is added to square footage calculations for general ventilation requirements for every appliance not under a hood. Gas appliances will always require a hood to extract products of combustion out of the space. Electric appliances that would normally only need a Type II hood, no hood required.

If you've determined a Type I hood is not needed, the next step would be going to a Type II for the heat and steam. If you are under the IMC, 507.3 for Type II hoods actually allows for not having a hood over electric appliances if the heat and steam load is accounted for in the HVAC system design and 100 square feet is added to square footage calculations for general ventilation requirements for every appliance not under a hood. Gas appliances will always require a hood to extract products of combustion out of the space. Electric appliances that would normally only need a Type II hood, no hood required.
See posts 9 through 14.

In this case the DP did not provide the min. required ventilation for the area of the kitchen PLUS the 300sf² for the added appliances. However, since I was waiting on clarification about whether the additional appliances was additive or not, I did not issue a comment. Now that I have a better answer I will administer the code as it is written but I am not going back on a plan review to correct this minor issue. As for cooling loads, I don't do those and never will, the DP does that. The code says he must do that factoring in an additional 100 sf²/appliance.

Concerning the type I hood question, I think the code is generic in it's description of medium duty appliances, which could lead to the conclusion that a waffle iron is medium duty as a double sided griddle. However, I just can't bring myself to think of them as producing smoke or grease in an amount that would require type I exhaust. That is just my subjective decision, something I think the codes expect us to do from time time. I made the decision based on research of the product, other similar products, similar installations and of course other opinions.
I like your approach and I like Klarenbeek's clear guidance.
For the record, I was doing Zoning and Bldg Plan review and didn't get my cert for the IMC.
My remarks are based on my 30 years of Commercial Mechanical Construction, so I didn't really get in the Code weeds like you guys (Yuz guzs is a Philly expression) So that is why I am enjoying and learning some of the Code fine points, with your help
Just wanted to make clear if I say something Stupid, you would understand

Best, Mike

I like your approach and I like Klarenbeek's clear guidance.
For the record, I was doing Zoning and Bldg Plan review and didn't get my cert for the IMC.
My remarks are based on my 30 years of Commercial Mechanical Construction, so I didn't really get in the Code weeds like you guys (Yuz guzs is a Philly expression) So that is why I am enjoying and learning some of the Code fine points, with your help
Just wanted to make clear if I say something Stupid, you would understand

Best, Mike
Yinz Guyz where I'm from...closer to Pitt.

Yinz Guyz where I'm from...closer to Pitt.
SIFU, FYI #1 Son is in Butler Co and works as a Mechanical Engineer in P-Burg and went to Pitt.
I am not sure how to phonetically spell DOWN- TOWNE like Yinzer's SAZ'S IT

If you bump into Mike Bergen Jr, I am sure you'll get along. He has the Head and the Hands.
I abused him and his 3 brothers and had them working in the shop from 7th and 8th grade

Thank God they take after their Mother, They have Social Skills that were not part of my DNA

SIFU, FYI #1 Son is in Butler Co and works as a Mechanical Engineer in P-Burg and went to Pitt.
I am not sure how to phonetically spell DOWN- TOWNE like Yinzer's SAZ'S IT

If you bump into Mike Bergen Jr, I am sure you'll get along. He has the Head and the Hands.
I abused him and his 3 brothers and had them working in the shop from 7th and 8th grade

Thank God they take after their Mother, They have Social Skills that were not part of my DNA
Here is the official pronunciation...Dahn Tahn. I am no longer there, just grew up not too far away.

Here is the official pronunciation...Dahn Tahn. I am no longer there, just grew up not too far away.
Yes, But some of you is still there Not just From There!
Ever been down to see the Head of the OHIO Boat Races?
Was a Rower and still am a Ref. the DNA damage went to 3 of the 4 Boys