• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

walk through unconditioned basement to finished work out room in basement

Isn't there a egress door on the first floor? Are you allowed to go out that door and walk around the outside of the house to the basement door to get in that room? I don't know of any code section that would not allow to walk through a unconditioned area to a conditioned area. If that was true you won't be allowed to have a breezeway between a house and a heated garage.
Could his be semantics? He means to say rated area as opposed to open studs?

I would expect the IRC (International Residential Code) to apply, unless your state doesn't use it.

IBC 1209 just says how large the access panel to an unoccupied space needs to be.

If the inspector wants to stick with the IBC, you can try 1204.1 Exception 1:

"1204.1Equipment and systems.

Interior spaces intended for human occupancy shall be provided with active or passive space heating systems capable of maintaining an indoor temperature of not less than 68°F (20°C) at a point 3 feet (914 mm) above the floor on the design heating day.
Exceptions: Space heating systems are not required for:
  1. Interior spaces where the primary purpose of the space is not associated with human comfort.
  2. Group F, H, S or U occupancies."

Ask the nice inspector for the code section/s

So you can review them and

If not provided can’t enforce

I take it you are remodeling , but have not done it yet??

So does he allow you in the basement pre-remodel?
Tell him it’s separate from the house like a garage with room over it.

This is so god damn ridiculous. What is wrong with everyone? why are these inspectors telling us what we can and can not do without an explanation ? PLEASE Don’t say because it’s code.

This is so god damn ridiculous. What is wrong with everyone? why are these inspectors telling us what we can and can not do without an explanation ? PLEASE Don’t say because it’s code.
Like most on this thread have been saying, ask for a code section. If the inspector can't provide it, he can't enforce it.

BTW this is coming from one of "these inspectors". I have no problem giving a code section when asked for it, or an explanation if it is an interpretation thing. I use it as an educational opportunity when these situations arise, including for myself when I've made the mistake or when someone else gives a different interpretation.