• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

washer and dryer closet shelf

SCBO1

Platinum Member
Do you enforce IRC2012, E4003.12 in regards to luminaries and the location to the shelf in a washer and dryer closet or is making up code?

pc1

Does it have a hanging rod? If so, I don't think you have a choice, the section is clear. We have always used the rod as the determining factor.

or the highest clothes-hanging rod

The minimum clearance between luminaires installed in clothes closets and the nearest point of a closet storage area shall be as follows:

Two different paragraphs two different things to measure from

If you can use it; NEC 410.2 does a very specific job in defining the closet storage space. Doesn't have to be clothes.

I've always enforced it requiring the clearance if a shelf is installed. Then the contractors would leave the shelf out forcing my hand and making me use my crystal ball enforcement.

The shelf above the W&D is often used to store blankets and pillows and probably Massdriver's camouflage gear which is highly flammable and toxic!

pc1

Not sure what I was thinking when I replied, but of course, the clearance required is from the shelf, regardless of rod. (been out of the field too long I guess)

cda said:
CLOSET. A small room or chamber used for storage.
There is a difference between a closet and a clothes closet. IMO, this is not a clothes closet but a laundry room. Does this mean every room with a shelf is a closet? I don't think so.

Dennis, ...It's not a laundry room.

R304.3 Minimum room dimensions. Room dimensions have not been met, less than 7-ft, it's a closet with a wire shelf to stack and hang clothes.

Contractor changing to a fluorescent fixture with no issues.

pc1

Pcinspector1 said:
Dennis, ...It's not a laundry room.R304.3 Minimum room dimensions. Room dimensions have not been met, less than 7-ft, it's a closet with a wire shelf to stack and hang clothes.

Contractor changing to a fluorescent fixture with no issues.

pc1
That is what I would have done anyway-- either fluorescent or LED.

I still think if there is a w/d in there then it is not a clothes closet but so be it.

So a box of Downey Dryer Sheets isn't going to catch fire like a stack of T-shirts?

I was inspecting high pile storage racks. The racks were placed dead center under the warehouse lights. It is a huge building and the light fixtures are large. They are storing upholstered furniture. About a foot from the lights. I rode a pallet to the ceiling. I could smell the heat. I was surprised that the place wasn't on fire. I made them move the light fixtures. Is there a code for that?

Do what you've got to do when you've got to do it.

Last edited by a moderator: