• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Water Heater T & P Valve Drain Line

06 or 09 it says the exact same thing and #13 would allow pex. If the pex fittings reduced the flow of the pipe they would not meet code

605.5 Fittings.

Pipe fittings shall be approved for installation with the piping material installed and shall conform to the respective pipe standards or one of the standards listed in Table 605.5. All pipe fittings utilized in water supply systems shall also conform to NSF 61. The fittings shall not have ledges, shoulders or reductions capable of retarding or obstructing flow in the piping. Ductile and gray iron pipe fittings shall be cement mortar lined in accordance with AWWA C104.

& & & &

mtlogcabin,

Respectfully, we may have to agree to disagree!.....The 3/4" [ o.d. ]

pex piping & tubing and the insertable type fittings are smaller than

3/4" [ actual ], and to me, ...this would not meet the intent or letter

of Section 504.6, #3, `06 IPC......Even the 1" pex tubing & piping,

nor the insertable fittings meet the 3/4" i.d. dimension.

I understand that some jurisdictions allow the use of 3/4" pex tubing

& pipe on the t & p valves.

To me, it just does not meet the inside diameters required.

& & & &