• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Water Heaters

Chad Pasquini

We have an R2 building that has been a nightmare for plan check and corrections with revised plan after revised plan. Question: can the water heaters for both first floor and 2nd floor be in the attic space?, is there a required fire separation between the 2nd floor and attic space housing the water heaters?

Do you do one hour envelopes for each apartment unit??

Plus access to the unit for service , plus in case renter needs to shut it down in a hurry

Sounds like bad set up all around

cda, they are rated units, fire sprinkled, there will be draft stops separating them apart, Access will be through gable end by personal only.

mtlogcabin, I new that was going to be one of the next questions, should have added it. They are electric.

Don't forget the weight;

2 30gal heaters = approx 560lb

2 40gal heaters = approx 740lb

2 50gal heaters = approx 920lb

Thanks jdfruit, the truss's have been designed for the loads, this is a project for the homeless. not that it matters but was a real bear due to logistics and site constraints.

chad pasquini said:
mark, we are using the cpc
2013 cpc 508.4 for general info

Is this under the CRC or CBC?

CRC R302.3 exception 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes mtlogcabin, Mark it is the CBC as my earlier post crossed with yours, R2 multi family 30 units

""" is there a required fire separation between the 2nd floor and attic space housing the water heaters"""

"""they are rated units"""

so the ceiling is rated,

seems like at rating is already there.

I think if I was a renter, I would want access to my water heater

cda said:
I think if I was a renter, I would want access to my water heater
I think that if I was a renter, I wouldn't care. The hot water could come from anywhere as long as it got to me.

I would not allow doors through attic draft stops, even if only accessed through gable end by personel. CBC 718.4.2 says need draft stops in attics unless you meet the exceptions listed.

If the sprinkler system is NFPA 13, or 13R with heads in attic (regardless if gas or electric w/h) then no attic draft stops req'd.

That is the ticket.

Make sure the attic is sprinkled and eliminate the need for draft stops.

Now are they strapping w/h's the to the truss cords? Drain pans piped to outside, are they heat pump w/h's? Need sepearate condensate drain to outside, makes for three separate pipes to drain to approved location (plumber will be tempered to tie them together).

Openings in draftstop are allowed in the IBC under some restrictions. IBC717.4.1.1