• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Waterproofing shower pan /seat

OleJB

Posted this under California but not getting traffic so I’m moving it here and hopefully someone can clarify.

I’m trying to determine if our shower remodel was done to CA code, as I can’t find exact answer in the code myself. The GC sub used Oatey Perfect slope (cardboard/strofoam sheets), then Oatey PVC shower pan liner directly over that. Cement board overlapped liner on walls and RedGard on walls and seat. Seemed solid. I was later told by a tile guy PVC should have gone higher and up over seat to meet code.
There’s best practice, but did GC meet minimum code? Can anyone point to code clearly saying so?

Attachments

• IMG_3428.jpeg
    IMG_3428.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9207.jpeg
    IMG_9207.jpeg
    474.2 KB · Views: 19
California Plumbing Code

Shower receptors shall have the subfloor and rough side of walls to a height of not less than 3 inches (76 mm) above the top of the finished dam or threshold shall be first lined with sheet plastic, lead, or copper, or shall be lined with other durable and watertight materials. Showers that are provided with a built in place, permanent seat or seating area that is located within the shower enclosure, shall be first lined with sheet plastic, lead, copper, or shall be lined with other durable and watertight materials that extend not less than 3 inches (76mm) above horizontal surfaces of the seat or the seating area.
Lining materials shall be pitched 1⁄4 inch per foot (20.8mm/m) to weep holes in the subdrain of a smooth and solidly formed subbase. Such lining materials shall extend upward on the rough jambs of the shower opening to a point not less than 3 inches (76 mm) above the horizontal surfaces of the seat or the seating area, the top of the finished dam or thresh-old and shall extend outward over the top of the permanent seat, permanent seating area, or rough threshold and be turned over and fastened on the outside face of both the permanent seat, permanent seating area, or rough threshold and the jambs.

Note the description of the pan liner in the second paragraph. The liner in the picture appears to not be 3" above a finished dam and there is no visible backing between the studs.

Last edited:
California Plumbing Code

Shower receptors shall have the subfloor and rough side of walls to a height of not less than 3 inches (76 mm) above the top of the finished dam or threshold shall be first lined with sheet plastic, lead, or copper, or shall be lined with other durable and watertight materials. Showers that are provided with a built in place, permanent seat or seating area that is located within the shower enclosure, shall be first lined with sheet plastic, lead, copper, or shall be lined with other durable and watertight materials that extend not less than 3 inches (76mm) above horizontal surfaces of the seat or the seating area.
Lining materials shall be pitched 1⁄4 inch per foot (20.8mm/m) to weep holes in the subdrain of a smooth and solidly formed subbase. Such lining materials shall extend upward on the rough jambs of the shower opening to a point not less than 3 inches (76 mm) above the horizontal surfaces of the seat or the seating area, the top of the finished dam or thresh-old and shall extend outward over the top of the permanent seat, permanent seating area, or rough threshold and be turned over and fastened on the outside face of both the permanent seat, permanent seating area, or rough threshold and the jambs.

Note the description of the pan liner in the second paragraph. The liner in the picture appears to not be 3" above a finished dam and there is no visible backing between the studs.
Thank you, exactly the info I was looking for!

No. What is behind the cement
Go Boards (sorry if I used wrong term “cement boards”) were attached directly to studs, and to the front of seat. Then everything was coated with RedGard.

Attachments

• IMG_9224.jpeg
    IMG_9224.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6