• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Weatherization Programs

conarb

Remember all those Obama stimulus weatherization programs? Here our county bought blower doors, vans, tools, etc., and took the money to keep underemployed building inspectors on the payroll to train the unemployed as weatherization workers, a study by the University of California and the University of Chicago found that the upgrades failed to payoff, costs were $5,000 per house and lifetime savings were $2,400 a house.

This isn't as bad as the solar panels though, Nevada has stopped paying anything for energy fed back into the system, California is now only paying during times that only they determine that they can actually use the power, buyers in both states are stuck with them, I read one story that the payoff wouldn't be for hundreds of years, think of the poor people who are paying higher mortgage payments or monthly lease payments.

I like sun tea? That's about the only solar I like.

ICE loves solar, ask em!

If they could only catch a fart in the wind they'd have another renewable fuel they could fleece us for!

If they could only catch a fart in the wind they'd have another renewable fuel they could fleece us for!
Believe it or not I've seen proposals for this, the proposal was to capture the farts of dairy cows with devices on the rear ends of cows, I don't remember where they go from there. .

Cow farts' AKA "Methane Gas" is part of global warming hub bub however in Aregnetina they're capturing the gas that blows outta ole moo moo's arse! To do my part I'll skip eating that slab of meat with a glass of milk. I'll go vegan for the day.

Remember all those Obama stimulus weatherization programs? Here our county bought blower doors' date=' vans, tools, etc., and took the money to keep underemployed building inspectors on the payroll to train the unemployed as weatherization workers, a study by the University of California and the University of Chicago found that the upgrades failed to payoff, costs were $5,000 per house and lifetime savings were $2,400 a house.This isn't as bad as the solar panels though, Nevada has stopped paying anything for energy fed back into the system, California is now only paying during times that only they determine that they can actually use the power, buyers in both states are stuck with them, I read one story that the payoff wouldn't be for hundreds of years, think of the poor people who are paying higher mortgage payments or monthly lease payments.
From what I have been following, regarding solar, the issue in Nevada is more related to the power companies pushing back. Basically, what they are saying is that the home owner is still using their lines and they should still be paying a fee. There are many stories on this out there, but here is one of them.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jan/13/solar-panel-energy-power-company-nevada

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/may/25/nv-energy-fights-rooftop-solar-cutting-into-profit/

My concern is that States like AZ and even here in MA the power companies are pushing back as well.

I've read these stories over and over and understand some people will always fall victim but wonder why more questions weren't asked in the first place. Why would any business essentially put themselves out of business? Utility companies make money by selling utilities, if there doing nothing but collecting energy who will be around to purchase that energy. Bait and Switch...

I've read these stories over and over and understand some people will always fall victim but wonder why more questions weren't asked in the first place. Why would any business essentially put themselves out of business? Utility companies make money by selling utilities' date=' if there doing nothing but collecting energy who will be around to purchase that energy. Bait and Switch...[/quote']Because they make a ton of money in the meantime!....All of the kids pushing solar around here are driving $50,000 cars and the guys installing are driving crap...When it dries up they will just sell the next big thing...

So the problem is trying to pollute less and not the corporate greed that tanked the economy in 2007/2008 and will do so again?

D'OH!