• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Welcome! Let's talk doors!! :)

LGreene

I have been looking for a way to help the forum with a corporate sponsorship, and last week I noticed that a code-related discussion about a door evolved into a product discussion. I thought sponsoring a forum on doors and hardware would give us a place to ask and answer door and hardware-related questions. I will ask others from my industry to participate in the forum.

If you have visited my blog (www.iDigHardware.com), you know that my job is to educate and support anyone who needs help with door-related code requirements. This forum is not meant to focus on Ingersoll Rand products...we are sponsoring the forum but any products can be discussed. Feel free to post any questions, or photos of door-related issues here.

Thank you for allowing me to participate in the forum discussions, and for all of your great feedback.

- Lori

Lori Greene, AHC/CDC, CCPR, FDAI

Ingersoll Rand Security Technologies

www.iDigHardware.com

No burning questions at this time. I do like IR products compared to some others I have used.

LGreene said:
This forum is for everyone - even people who don't have a preference for IR products, but I'm glad you like them!
Hi,

I'm dealing with several jewellery stores which have installed electric strikes on their main entrance doors (which also serves as the exit door for their business). These business are pretty small. To enter the store, you are buzzed in (staff pushes a button behind a counter) to open door. This action happens twice to enter the store (2 doors). Which is permitted. However, once you are in the store, to exit the owner presses a button to unlock the door and also you can also exit out if the owner open the door manually with a key. In addition, the when the power is cut off it does not fail safe. Can only be open by a key.

I know they are concern about security and robberies however there setup is not permitted. The Ontario Fire Code requires that "every required exit door shall be such that the door can be readily opened to permit egress without requiring keys, special devices or specialized knowledge of the door opening mechanism"

Any ideas on the best approach to address their security concerns but allow free egress and meet the intent of the code?

Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

itsasurewin said:
Hi,I'm dealing with several jewellery stores which have installed electric strikes on their main entrance doors (which also serves as the exit door for their business). These business are pretty small. To enter the store, you are buzzed in (staff pushes a button behind a counter) to open door. This action happens twice to enter the store (2 doors). Which is permitted. However, once you are in the store, to exit the owner presses a button to unlock the door and also you can also exit out if the owner open the door manually with a key. In addition, the when the power is cut off it does not fail safe. Can only be open by a key.

I know they are concern about security and robberies however there setup is not permitted. The Ontario Fire Code requires that "every required exit door shall be such that the door can be readily opened to permit egress without requiring keys, special devices or specialized knowledge of the door opening mechanism"

Any ideas on the best approach to address their security concerns but allow free egress and meet the intent of the code?

Your opinion is greatly appreciated.
I'm not sure what the actual code section is in the OBC, but you should be looking at "Door Release Hardware"(3.4.6.15 in the NBCC) and "Security for Banks and Mercantile Floor Areas (3.4.6.16 in the NBCC). It should be under the types of exiting facilities. Basically if they are not in a sprinklered building they would be looking at a delayed release hardware.

tmurray said:
I'm not sure what the actual code section is in the OBC, but you should be looking at "Door Release Hardware"(3.4.6.15 in the NBCC) and "Security for Banks and Mercantile Floor Areas (3.4.6.16 in the NBCC). It should be under the types of exiting facilities. Basically if they are not in a sprinklered building they would be looking at a delayed release hardware.
I knew I had seen something special regarding jewelry stores in one of the Canadian codes. The IBC doesn't have a similar section. Normally with an electric strike you can egress freely by turning the lever or pushing the touchpad on the panic hardware. It sounds like they have installed a double-cylinder lockset to prevent egress.

Sounds like a man trap

Maybe a push button at the door to release the strike

Where I work the township office has a security system so that I can't go out unless I take my gloves off. And it's too cold to go out without my gloves! There is no lactch and the handle that goes all the way across the door does not move. You can't even push it open with your body, it has to be bare skin.

Rick18071 said:
Where I work the township office has a security system so that I can't go out unless I take my gloves off. And it's too cold to go out without my gloves! There is no lactch and the handle that goes all the way across the door does not move. You can't even push it open with your body, it has to be bare skin.
You mean your assistant will not open the door for you???

itsasurewin said:
Yes, they have a double cylindrical lock set for both doors which have to be removed. I will advise them that they need a mechanical device to release the door on the egress side.
It sounds like a "touch-sense" device and those can be questionable, especially if it's the type that requires bare skin contact (with some your touch breaks a beam instead) and you're in a cold location.

Hello All,

I'm the new guy here. I am a semi-retired general contractor, more retired than working. Anyway, I have a question concerning door sizes. Since all of my code books are kinda outdated, maybe I get some information with you guys. I know that most or all single family homes generally require one 2/8x6/8 hinged and one 3/0x6/8 hinged entry/exit doors. My question is what is the primary purpose of the larger of the two doors. I'm thinking equip/furniture moving, or is it sized specifically for egress?

rd1man said:
Hello All,I'm the new guy here. I am a semi-retired general contractor, more retired than working. Anyway, I have a question concerning door sizes. Since all of my code books are kinda outdated, maybe I get some information with you guys. I know that most or all single family homes generally require one 2/8x6/8 hinged and one 3/0x6/8 hinged entry/exit doors. My question is what is the primary purpose of the larger of the two doors. I'm thinking equip/furniture moving, or is it sized specifically for egress?
Since it's a code requirement I think it is relative to egress, since the codes wouldn't address moving equipment and furniture. But maybe someone else has some insight?

rd1man, yes, minimum door opening widths are set for safety (egress), access (ADA) and lastly but not least (though often overlooked) to be wide enough to move furniture.

Note that furniture movement is also a function of corridor width and turns leading up to the door, and whether there are any stairs.

Oh Lori,

To be so dedicated by your company to this effort is a wonderous thing.

Now if you can obtain some concurrances from the Access Board on some of these questions it would be great.

Also, can you include photo examples with some of your responses? The goog, the bad and the ugly.