• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

well this is messed up

BSSTG

Gold Member
Greetings,

I've got a daycare that's been in business for about 10 years best I can figure looking at the records. It is located in an old building that originally had 1 occupancy so I'm told. Some years back it was converted into multi use: 2 private apartments and 1 daycare and 1 dance studio. I don't know when this was done exactly but I think it was all done in the early 90's.

I don't want to go to the mat on what happened way back when but here is the rub.

There is no gas service to the building right now. A local legitimate contractor came in and installed 2 air handlers in a closet in one of the apartments. No permits were pulled! 1 is an electric unit and serves the apartment. The other is a gas unit and serves the daycare. So you have to go into a private residence to access the air handler for the daycare.

I run into some crazy stuff once in awhile but to be honest, I don't know exactly how to handle this one. Of course the contractor that installed the units is largely at fault here since he pulled no permit. The furnace in the residence is an issue. I'm not sure what code section applies but I will see. In the meantime the little kiddos in the daycare have no heat other that space units.

If any of yall have suggestions, they are welcome. We are on the 2012 code cycle here.

BSSTG

And in the great state of Texas

The gas line has to be leak tested annually, for the day care.

Have someone (?) apply for a permit to properly install the units in approvable locations. In the meantime be happy that temperatures are seasonably mild?

I guess why was it installed in the residence in first place. Does the residence get any heat from the unit??

Sounds like the easiest, is install a unit in the day care, and use the existing duct work.

Sounds like the day care is stuck with the bill.

It does not get cold in Houston!!!

No permits = No Mercy.

The only fix, unless it is stupidly easy (I'm guessing not) to somehow make the furnace room a part of the daycare and not the residence, is to rip it all out and try again.

And charge the contractor whatever penalties your ordinances will allow for the new permit.

JCraver said:
No permits = No Mercy. The only fix, unless it is stupidly easy (I'm guessing not) to somehow make the furnace room a part of the daycare and not the residence, is to rip it all out and try again.

And charge the contractor whatever penalties your ordinances will allow for the new permit.
I tend to agreee. My issue is that I'm afraid the daycare owner is going to get screwed on the deal. We have a CC meeting Monday and I'm going to ask the city attorney what she thinks. I'll follow up later in the week. Also, I'm going to talk to my boss Monday and give him a heads up. The brutal truth is my boss will tell me to do what I gotta do.

Interestingly enough, we have a major accumulations violator at a residence. The owner of the residence is in a nursing home. When the city manager heard and saw all this, he said to drag the owner and her oxygen tanks into court!. All these bosses are retiring next year. It shows!

BS

\ said:
The owner of the residence is in a nursing home. When the city manager heard and saw all this, he said to drag the owner and her oxygen tanks into court!
You guys leave us old folks alone, hear! If you don't we'll start filing civil rights lawsuits against you, we are protected too just like the blacks and disabled. This ageism has to stop!

conarb said:
You guys leave us old folks alone, hear! If you don't we'll start filing civil rights lawsuits against you, we are protected too just like the blacks and disabled. This ageism has to stop!
Yea, I think when my 2 bosses retire next year, maybe I should go with them! I'm not making too many pals around here! Well see. Everybody has told me to clean up the town including Council.

okey dokey

BS

BSSTG said:
I tend to agreee. My issue is that I'm afraid the daycare owner is going to get screwed on the deal. We have a CC meeting Monday and I'm going to ask the city attorney what she thinks. I'll follow up later in the week. Also, I'm going to talk to my boss Monday and give him a heads up. The brutal truth is my boss will tell me to do what I gotta do.Interestingly enough, we have a major accumulations violator at a residence. The owner of the residence is in a nursing home. When the city manager heard and saw all this, he said to drag the owner and her oxygen tanks into court!. All these bosses are retiring next year. It shows!

BS
Unfortunately, you're probably right that it'll fall on the daycare. MY personal beef would be with the contractor, who you said was "legitimate". When guys who know better try to skirt permits, I quit being nice.