• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What are the causes of corruption in building departments?

We also have lead inspectors for every trade. They perform monthly q c inspections on each inspector. Every other month they show us a PowerPoint presentation anonymously showing pictures of big items that were missed. The prospect that your boss will secretly come behind you at some point this month and check your work will keep most people honest. There is also the benefit of training and consistency among staff. We hate to hear, "well so and so lets me do that."

KZQ,

I understand what you're saying and that's fine for whomever, however personally it's a matter of principle and I simply don't want any appearance. We had an administrator who wrote policy about not using one's badge to gain free access to anything. I was coaching our HS football team and was standing behind him to enter the field at a gate. He flipped the tin and got himself and wife in for free. A whole 12 bucks saved. I knew before this event how impressions could be interpreted by the public witness to such an event but that situation really drove it home for me and that's just how I view it.

FM William Burns said:
KZQ,I understand what you're saying and that's fine for whomever, however personally it's a matter of principle and I simply don't want any appearance. We had an administrator who wrote policy about not using one's badge to gain free access to anything. I was coaching our HS football team and was standing behind him to enter the field at a gate. He flipped the tin and got himself and wife in for free. A whole 12 bucks saved. I knew before this event how impressions could be interpreted by the public witness to such an event but that situation really drove it home for me and that's just how I view it.
Hi Bill,

Personal standards are always unassailable. I'll commend you for maintaining yours as much as I will condemn your admin for "flipping the tin" in order to avoid supporting a hometown High School event.

Unfortunately, the politically correct movement has wound itself to such a fever pitch here in Oregon that not only are personal gratuities forbidden but organizational expressions of support are forbidden as well. I wish I could say more but I'm sure you see where I'm wanting to go.

Bill

KZQuixote said:
Free coffee, even free foot longs never brought anybody down. I've seen similar BS rules come down in Oregon because the admin can't get a hold on which way the politically correct wind is blowing. Hold to the policy manual and no one will ever accuse you of accepting a $1.24 bribe. Oh! and if a coworker suggests that you cannot accept a coffee from a citizen, ask him/her to justify their reality. Holding each other accountable works TWO ways! Bill
It isn't political correctness. It's ethics. "We have already established what kind of woman you are. Now we are just Haggling over price." http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/what_kind_of_woman_do_you_take_me_for_madam_weve_already_established_that_c/

JBI said:
Low pay, low morale, being undermined by politicians, feeling overwhelmed, unscrupulous individuals that offer bribes, unscrupulous individuals that accept bribes...There is no single reason, rather there are many.
nail on the head JBI...these things all create a work environment that fosters negative behavior. IMHO, nothing reduces a departments morale more than a back room political agreement that is inconsistant with dept policies or shows favoritism for one contractor/developer/project over another.

Yeah well anybody that thinks a $2.00 beer or a $20.00 meal is going to get them special treatment is an idiot and I would challange anyone and everyone to prove that it has swayed my opinion one way or the other. If a jurisdiction doesn't want that type of thing to happen then they need to step up and pay for ALL work related expenses.

I agree with the FM W.Burns, not even a free cup of coffee, then they expect something from you. I do take avantage of punch cards where I eat since that's my time anyway!

Had an Alderman invite the whole office to a free luncheon at his place of work, I felt that it could be forseen as a possible conflict. What would you do? Go or Not go? The alderman could rant on my superior for me not being there.

I'm not a boyscout but I have been labled one!

pc1

And all of those who are so opposed to taking anything---be extra careful when operating a vehicle. If the police fail to ticket you for ANY traffic infraction it is obvious that you have a free pass with the cops. And that goes for your spouse and kids as well.

I do not give a dam- what John Q. Public thinks. If they are going to make a false accusation I will push the issue and make them do it in public and then hire an attorney to sue their a-- for libel and slander.

Well I must admit the candy around Christmas was good. Glad it was brought into the dept for all to share.

Otherwise I guess I'm too dumb to want to or to accept any thing while on or off the job.

No bottled water, soda no nothing. I learned many, many years ago not to even have a meal with some one you are dealing with even if you buy your own, preception becomes reality just eating with them, people will probably assume they are buying.

I not only carry pens, I usually leave them when I do the final inspection (owner, developer, contractor can do what they wish with them). Lunch, I usually buy (or the company does if it's a business development opportunity).. will accept lunch from SOME, if I've developed a friendship with them and the conversation doesn't turn to business.. but will buy the next time (not the company).

To buy me off, someone would have to bring streamer trunks full of unmarked old bills (which someone would notice).. for me to change a code call.. since that's never happened, I don't know what my price would be... not a bottle of water or lunch, for sure.

It's personal integrity and the appearance of impropriety... best to avoid the appearance.