• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What are the electrical violations?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Hint, there is more than one electrical violation. This is a plenum space inside a condo hallway closet that houses the water source heat pump for an R2 dwelling unit. How many do you see? Hint 2, they used a disconnect as a power source for the low voltage system they added to the mechanical system.
Pic.jpgpic2.jpg

This is a plenum space inside a condo hallway closet that houses the water source heat pump for an R2 dwelling unit.
If this is inside an individuals condo/apartment then I would have a difficult time calling it a "plenum" not saying there are not electrical violations, just saying the violations may not be related to the plenum requirements

I see some exposed wires that may not be plenum rated. If that is the air handler on the right in the bottom picture with a bottom return then just box in the return and the room is no longer a plenum. I installed thousands of air handlers in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach county condos back in the day and all of them the return was boxed in and not open to the room/closet the air handler was in. Most looked like this. Perhaps someone removed part of the original installation and created this plenum. Is it an easier and cheaper fix to eliminate the "plenum" then to call out the electrical violations if the only violations are due to the plenum requirements is what I am asking?1600179819366.png

1600179819366.png
602.2.1.4 Electrical Equipment in Plenums

Electrical equipment exposed within a plenum shall comply with Sections 602.2.1.4.1 and 602.2.1.4.2.

602.2.1.4.1 Equipment in Metallic Enclosures

Electrical equipment with metallic enclosures exposed within a plenum shall be permitted.

602.2.1.4.2 Equipment in Combustible Enclosures

Electrical equipment with combustible enclosures exposed within a plenum shall be listed and labeled for such use in accordance with UL 2043.