• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What do you all wear and carry as far as boots, gloves, etc?

Another. Possible problem

If you do city correspondence on personal phone

Possibility have to save those,,, As part of open record requirements

I mostly use a standalone camera for code enforcement stuff, because it's easier to plug it in and download the pictures than it is to wait for our antique internet to upload them from a phone. I'll use the phone when I forget to grab the camera, but that's about it.

I don't know how big your jurisdiction is but you don't need boots for a code enforcement job, you need whatever's comfortable. I wear tennis shoes, and won't go back to boots until somebody makes me. And when you leave that nasty house full of dog doo and fleas and whatever else, you can take them off, throw them in the washer, and you're good as new. Can't do that with boots.

Our official policy is we can wear shorts anytime it's 85 or above, but I wear them from the moment it warms up until it's too cold to stand it. Squatting, climbing, whatever, shorts are easier to move in and way more comfortable.

Short sleeve polos or button downs in the summer, long sleeve thermals underneath those when it's chilly. If you don't have uniform shirts, don't spend money on expensive ones - you'll tear them up and/or have them covered in all sorts of nasty stuff.

Not a lot of tools required for a grass-height-checker. You need a tape measure, a flashlight that fits in your pocket, a non-contact electrical tester, and a box full of ink pens. Those and your camera and you'll be pretty well set.

Identification is pretty important, badge if allowed with photo ID should be part of your wardrobe.

Story time: Someone here in the office tried to do a little code enforcement while I was gone and was waring a city shirt but was in their personal vehicle. A photo was taken of a pile of mattresses and the employee was followed to the other side of town. When the employee got out of the vehicle, an irate bearded and tattooed fella got in his face wanting to know why he was taking photos of his house. He calmed down after finding out the reason, he though he had caught a peeper.

Like the old insurance commercial sez, "Their out there!"

Yes on the ID badge. I also wear one of those green safety vests with the reflective strip, have my ID clipped to it, pens/pencils/crayon in a pocket, 6" level, 5-in-1 screw driver, pocket knife, tape measure, outlet tester, non-contact tester, business cards, etc... My job is mostly construction inspector, but code enforcement falls on me too.

Torpedo level with 1/8 and 1/4" bubble for ground roughs and a AFCI tester for final inspections.

We have preprinted stickers we use,
green for approved "dude, your a rock star" please proceed and rock on!:cool:
and
red for failed inspection, "Johnny, lets try a little harder next time!" or when you haven't had your morning expresso: "Look up section number in your code book!"

Got a roll of Yellow caution tape in the trunk.

Torpedo level with 1/8 and 1/4" bubble for ground roughs and a AFCI tester for final inspections.

We have preprinted stickers we use,
green for approved "dude, your a rock star" please proceed and rock on!:cool:
and
red for failed inspection, "Johnny, lets try a little harder next time!" or when you haven't had your morning expresso: "Look up section number in your code book!"

Got a roll of Yellow caution tape in the trunk.
Do you have a recommendation on a decent/affordable AFCI tester? I've tried a few and they have all failed either by shorting out the internal components, or not functionally tripping any AFCI breakers.

Joe B,

I'm not sure they make this Arc Smart - AS2000 AFCI tester or not, it still works and It was made by Fox Meter Inc. Mike Holt has some information on it on the net.

Maybe someone will chime in with a model that works?