• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What Do You Call The Rebar Around a Vertical Steel Column?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
What do you call these in your area?
I've heard them called pins, or pinning around columns. I've also heard them referred to as corner bars.
Pins.jpg

Corner bars.
The term pin implies a strict restriction in movement, except twisting.

The normal term used for them is Reentry Bars, they are used any place you have a sharp corner section of the round columns, doorways etc. I've spent the last 7 years detailing rebar, so I have seen many of them!

If the construction drawings are clear as to size length and location you do not need to call them anything.

The arrangement of bars in the picture ignores the holes in the slab due to the sleeves shown.

The arrangement of bars in the picture ignores the holes in the slab due to the sleeves shown.
And it looks like they are a little close to the column on the lower right corner.

Reentrant bars vs corner bars. You’re correct, i have seen that term on drawings. But that’s the technical term, not necessarily what they are called in the field. It’s like pavement being called out as “asphaltic cement concrete pavement”

If the construction drawings are clear as to size length and location you do not need to call them anything.
Thanks for the Sunday morning trolling Mark. While I understand that construction drawings should ideally be clear and comprehensive, common terminology is critical for effective communication among all parties involved. This includes architects, engineers, and yes, building inspectors. Misinterpretation of drawings can lead to expensive mistakes, safety risks, and delays. Precise terminology is not mere pedantry; it's a cornerstone of professional collaboration and public safety. Without agreed-upon nomenclature, we risk undermining the very systems and standards that ensure the structural integrity and safety of a building. It is not just about 'calling them anything'; it's about ensuring that everyone—regardless of their professional background—understands what is expected and required

I refer to them as “diagonal bars”. Openings in tilt-up walls have them. I haven’t been involved with many pan decks but they make sense.

Last edited:
I refer to them as “diagonal bars”. Openings in tilt-up walls have them. I haven’t been involved with many pan decks but they make sense.
According to Mark K, you don't have to call them 'tilt-up' walls or 'pan decks' as long as they are just designed, we just build them and inspect them to the drawings like the simps we are, and don't worry about what they are called. We are there to do, not talk or ask questions while the almighty engineer wields his power of design. I believe it is OK to point and grunt, however.

According to Mark K, you don't have to call them 'tilt-up' walls or 'pan decks' as long as they are just designed, we just build them and inspect them to the drawings like the simps we are, and don't worry about what they are called. We are there to do, not talk or ask questions while the almighty engineer wields his power of design. I believe it is OK to point and grunt, however.
Why do you hate engineers?

In my experience engineers decisions are regularly checked and challenged which would not be the case if we were almighty. On the other hand we are supposed to accept the pronouncements of the plan checkers. If engineers were almighty we would be able to ignore plan check comments we felt were inappropriate , rather we politely respond to all comments by the plan checkers.

It should be noted that engineers have personal liability for their work but building department personnel have no liability because of government immunity. Who is almighty?

Why do you hate engineers?
Mark, Mark, Mark. Why do you think that I hate engineers? There is no shortage of members who are aware of your open disdain towards building officials and building departments. Yes, engineers take on more liability than the building department, but then again, you are compensated for it, much more than what employees of building departments make. You see, it is all relevant. You can always choose to work for a building department and limit your liability. You have the option to bend the ear of State Legislators and work towards some building department reform. You have options, Mark.

I don't hate engineers. I have many friends and acquaintances who are engineers. Civil, structural, electrical, etc. Hell, even my nephew is a mechanical engineer (We Are Penn State). I enjoy a very good professional relationship with engineers and architects. A relationship based on mutual respect. Something you lack as an engineer.

Mark, Mark, Mark. Why do you think that I hate engineers? There is no shortage of members who are aware of your open disdain towards building officials and building departments. Yes, engineers take on more liability than the building department, but then again, you are compensated for it, much more than what employees of building departments make. You see, it is all relevant. You can always choose to work for a building department and limit your liability. You have the option to bend the ear of State Legislators and work towards some building department reform. You have options, Mark.

I don't hate engineers. I have many friends and acquaintances who are engineers. Civil, structural, electrical, etc. Hell, even my nephew is a mechanical engineer (We Are Penn State). I enjoy a very good professional relationship with engineers and architects. A relationship based on mutual respect. Something you lack as an engineer.
I have pointed out problems with building departments and plan checkers but that does not mean that I have disdain for all building departments and building officials. Disdain as well as respect must be earned. Most individuals fall in neither of these extremes.

While I have to comply with the codes I expect the building department to also comply with the laws. I recall one atypical situation where I politely asked what was the code requirement he was enforcing and the response was that there was no code requirement but that we would not get a permit if the change was not made. This was a clear case of extorsion.

While there may be some cases where the designers make more than the plan checkers, there are a number of cases where building department personnel get paid more than the design engineer especially when you consider benefits and job security.

I recall one atypical situation where I politely asked what was the code requirement he was enforcing and the response was that there was no code requirement but that we would not get a permit if the change was not made. This was a clear case of extorsion.
That is a MAJOR problem that should not happen. The two states I worked in have a system to handle situations like that with more than one option in that system. No one should ever say the proverbial "Do as I say" and get away with it.

Diagonal bars/hair pins/pins/re-entry bars, I have heard all of these... The slab must need to be structurally in volve in that picture with the amount of reinforcement - rem-mesh, rebar & all those pins.

That is a MAJOR problem that should not happen. The two states I worked in have a system to handle situations like that with more than one option in that system. No one should ever say the proverbial "Do as I say" and get away with it.
It happens every day. We decide if it costs more to comply or fight. Most often the delay alone from the fight costs more than the imaginary code from the B.O.