• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What do you think of this door?

peach said:
other than the fact that there looks like an EXIT sign above the door... glad I mentioned the fact the "the sun is shining"... not there and not enough info to say yes or no.
Means of egress doors shall be readily distinguishable from the adjacent construction and finishes such that the doors are easily recognizable as doors. Mirrors or similar reflecting materials shall not be used on means of egress doors. Means of egress doors shall not be concealed by curtains, drapes, decorations or similar materials.

Peach

Exit signs are another factor. There is an Exit sign but does not waive this requirement

when it's backlit by the sun, it appears to be clear as day a DOOR... maybe not at night.. but we see alot of Delis that close after the lunch rush (or restaurants that don't open for lunch.. only dinner)..

It really depends on the angle and the lighting conditions. When I was sitting at the table having lunch, the door and glass looked distinctly orange, but when I took the photos that I first posted on my blog, the glass looked much lighter and it was obviously a door. Depending on where you're standing/sitting, the glass looks almost exactly like the wall. It's probably not a huge deal for this particular establishment...the vestibule is lit at night and there is an exit sign, plus it's the same door everyone comes in. But I can definitely see a problem if using this type of treatment on doors becomes more prevalent.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Most people know where the entered the buillding.. and that's where they will naturally go to exit, also. I agree, it's going to be a problem in the future.. solve it soon.