1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

What happens if a city approves a deck that seems to violate fire codes

Discussion in 'Residential Fire Codes' started by Jane, Sep 2, 2019.

1. cda

cda Sawhorse

I would say if a civil attorney thinks he can get rid of the deck,,,

I would say civil court might be your best shot,

Jane likes this.
  2. Jane

Jane Registered User

I hope you're wrong :(

3. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

A deck that size lends itself to gatherings. You'll be able to join in.....pass a tray back and forth with hors d’oeuvres.

All things being relative your efforts must involve a significant investment. The city is the opponent but Mr. Flake owns the offense. Sue him and prove that the deck is illegal. Suggest that he has participated in a fraud without openly stating such. His money is as good as the city's.

#443 ICE, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  4. Jane

Jane Registered User

LOL! I needed that chuckle :)

5. Jane

Jane Registered User

I just read the second part of your statement and since I have invested a lot of money in this I am interested. How do I suggest that he participated in fraud? I did text him and tell him that his deck violated zoning and he basically said "tough".

I've also been looking at setback violations - there don't seem to be the same time restraints on those as on appealing a building permit. His deck has clear setback violations so would you suggest moving that way forward too?

6. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Some times a "flanking" offense is better than a "direct" assault.

7. Jane

Jane Registered User

Does that mean coming at him from different angles? So far I've registered a couple of zoning violations against his property, I'm waiting to see if he files for an amended permit/certificate of completion... and we have to file suit before Dec 21st. What are your thoughts?

8. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Setback, permit, zoning, no contractor's license, denial of your property rights, threat to your property by fire spreading from his deck?
    Your attorney should be able to come up with an end around to catch them off balance. Sue him directly vs the city. Make him spend as much as you have to defend himself. Doesn't your HOA have an E&O policy for their directors mistakes? What approvals do your CC&Rs require for onsite alterations?

9. Jane

Jane Registered User

Great ideas. I'm thinking Flake probably has lawsuit insurance so if I sue him he will just use his insurance to bankrupt me! It does seem that suing him directly is the best bang for the buck.

Our HOA does have insurance but they went rogue on Flake's deck. It turns out it's almost impossible to sue the HOA and they will say they relied on the city permit even though they denied other people building a deck.

10. Ty J.

Ty J. Sawhorse

This is a government official who probably does not his name associated with anything illegal, given that he has desires for greater political offices.

Long game with media attention is probably your best bet.

11. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

What have been the latest comments from media?

12. Jane

Jane Registered User

Since Jeff didn't show up the other night the latest comments are regarding the law suit. They are wanting to know what the plan is and I don't know just yet.

13. Jane

Jane Registered User

That is true - I just don't want to get too attached to Flake's deck :)