• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

what is a bedroom

Darren Emery said:
I would have to disagree. We are inspecting to current code, given current conditions, and current plans. If it is listed as an office on the plans, it is an office. If and when a new owner changes the use to a bedroom, then we have a violation. Not before. We can not predict, or plan, for all future violations.
Hello there.

We had this issue discussed extensively before (as a previous poster included a link). The issue of labeling a room to dictate its use should not be an absolute.

If i have a large unheated area with 2 roll up doors (other wise known as garage doors), concrete slab floor, attached to the house, with say the furnace and water heater, and the designer labels it "sewing room", am I supposed to take them at their word and not require a separation between the garage and dwelling because it's not labeled a "garage".??

Can I have a room that has a dishwasher, cook top, refrigerator, and sink with countertops, and call it simply an "activity room", and therefore it is not a kitchen and requirements specific to a kitchen need not apply??

I know this one got beat to death on the forum previously, and there were some strong opinions, it's not an easy issue.

We have septic design requirements based on bedrooms. We have a policy (not written by me) that defines a bedroom. When we have someone that has a room that appears or could be used as a bedroom, if their septic design isn't large enough or there isn't legal egress, we will often use a NTT or Notice to Title. Basically a permaently recorded document that clarifies that this is truly "not a bedroom" for either lack of egress, or septic limitations. It usually is noted on the CofO, but this brings the issue to light whenever a real estate transaction is taking place and represents a very permanent record.

JMHO.

If the issue is parking or closets we don't care - the issue in much of our state is onsite watste disposal (leach fields) as they are sized by bedrooms in conjunction with DEM (a unique concept of cooperation we devised this for thos regulations.

“Bedroom” means any room in a residential structure which is greater than seventy (70) square feet in area, which is susceptible to present or future use as a private sleeping area and which satisfies all of the following requirements:

(1) Has at least one (1) window that meets the four point four (4.4) square foot minimum size and all other requirements of the “Rhode Island State Building Code SBC-1 or SBC-2”;

(2) Has at least one (1) interior method of entry and egress, excluding closets and bathrooms, allowing the room to be closed off from the remainder of the residence for privacy; and

(3) Is a heated living space that is unrestricted for year-round use.

Rooms located below grade that are not recognized as bedrooms by the “Rhode Island State Building Code SBC-1 or SBC-2” are not recognized as bedrooms under these Rules.

97catintenn said:
to keep it easy, it's not a bedroom if the room does not have a closet.
If you go back, say pre WWII, you will find many homes without closets.

Instead they used a furniture items called a Wardrobe for hanging clothes, along with dressers for folding clothes.

Also, I know of a home for a farm family. The upper floor is for the children. They have bunk rooms, play/study room, clothes are stored in same room with laundry.

So would the bunk room be a bedroom. No closet?

Code states, intended for use of sleeping.

This means if you are reasonable, you won't identify a kitchen as a bedroom.

If you are unreasonable, you might speculate how someone might fall asleep in their porge. Thus call it a bedroom.

Official answer - check with the AHJ. Everyone defines it differently.

Glenn well said.

The New Mexico State Building Code defines "sleeping room" means a room designated as a sleeping room or bedroom on the plans.

As an inspector I am not to inspect for what it might be used for in the future but for the proposed use.