• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What is a garage?

richtdow

My local code enforcement official here in Maine said that I am allowed to build a structure if it is a one-story garage. The thing is, I can't find a definition of what a garage is either in the local code, state law, or the IRC (2015 is applicable for my town). For the sake of avoiding asking my CEO too many questions, does anyone know where I can find the definition of a garage? This would be a one-story detached garage more than 20 ft away from the home.

The reason I am asking is that I do not need a garage, I need a place to store my tractor, large yard equipment, and store other items but necessarily a vehicle. However, a garage allows me certain setback and ground coverage advantages that another type of structure would not.

Your best bet would be to ask the code enforcement official what he considers a garage. I'm sure different areas have different definitions so the only one that would make a difference would be the one he uses.

Your best bet would be to ask the code enforcement official what he considers a garage. I'm sure different areas have different definitions so the only one that would make a difference would be the one he uses.
I agree. I'm trying to avoid asking him too many questions before I get a permit, but I may need to.

It might be a zoning issue. An agricultural building (which sounds like what you want) wouldn’t need a driveway whereas a garage might need, at a minimum, an asphalt driveway.

To me a garage is to store a motor vehicle. A tractor is a motor vehicle. But if you have a farm it would be a barn or a agricultural building which would not need a building permit in my state.

Typically people want to not call a "shed" a garage as requirements are typically tighter...I would have no problem calling your building storing "motor vehicles" or automobiles a garage...

R309.1 Floor surface. Garage floor surfaces shall be of
approved noncombustible material.
The area of floor used for parking of automobiles or other
vehicles shall be sloped to facilitate the movement of liquids
to a drain or toward the main vehicle entry doorway.

2015 IBC
PRIVATE GARAGE. A building or portion of a building in
which motor vehicles used by the tenants of the building or
buildings on the premises are stored or kept, without provisions
for repairing or servicing such vehicles for profit.

Maine defines a motor vehicle as follows.

3. Motor vehicle. "Motor vehicle" means any self-propelled vehicle not operated exclusively on tracks, including motorcycles, but not including aircraft. "Motor vehicle" does not include any vehicle prohibited by law from operating on the public highways. "Motor vehicle" does not include any snowmobile as defined in Title 12, section 13001. "Motor vehicle" does not include water well drilling equipment attached to a self-propelled vehicle and used for business purposes by a person licensed under Title 32, chapter 69‑C.

Are you prohibited by law from operating your tractor on the public highways? Probably not but if you register it than it is a motor vehicle in Maine.
Personally I don't ask nor care what you put in the garage. There are millions of garages out there that you can't put a motor vehicle in.
  1. Do I have to register my tractor?​

Generally yes, if used on a public way. Farm tractors used only for farming and going to and from a farmer's field or lot do not have to be registered.

The reason I am asking is that I do not need a garage, I need a place to store my tractor, large yard equipment, and store other items but necessarily a vehicle. However, a garage allows me certain setback and ground coverage advantages that another type of structure would not.
See if you can find your local zoning ordinance somewhere, perhaps online. If there is a definition there, you will have your answer. If not, submit plans for a permit, call it a "garage" on the permit, design it as you like, and see what they say. It is entirely likely that they will take mtlogcabin's stance:
Personally I don't ask nor care what you put in the garage. There are millions of garages out there that you can't put a motor vehicle in.
Edit: Definitions from the building code, state law, or even Webster's dictionary do not apply to the zoning ordinance unless those documents are referenced by the zoning ordinance. If the zoning ordinance has a definition, that definition rules for any zoning question. If the zoning ordinance has no definition, then any of those definitions may be used to try to persuade the authority having jurisdiction to interpret the word "garage" in a certain way, but they are not a legal definition for the zoning ordinance.

That is why in that case in California, they ruled that bees were fish (basically). That was because someone put a lousy definition of the word "invertebrate" in the document, and it had no relation to the normal meaning of the word, and that caused a chain reaction where, legally, the regulations of that document applied normally to fish were also applicable to bees.

(That was my impression, I did not follow that case all that closely)

Last edited:
If you could store a vehicle in it, the only reason to not call it a garage is if an agricultural building exempts you from some requirements or limitations.

See if you can find your local zoning ordinance somewhere, perhaps online. If there is a definition there, you will have your answer. If not, submit plans for a permit, call it a "garage" on the permit, design it as you like, and see what they say. It is entirely likely that they will take mtlogcabin's stance:

Edit: Definitions from the building code, state law, or even Webster's dictionary do not apply to the zoning ordinance unless those documents are referenced by the zoning ordinance. If the zoning ordinance has a definition, that definition rules for any zoning question. If the zoning ordinance has no definition, then any of those definitions may be used to try to persuade the authority having jurisdiction to interpret the word "garage" in a certain way, but they are not a legal definition for the zoning ordinance.

That is why in that case in California, they ruled that bees were fish (basically). That was because someone put a lousy definition of the word "invertebrate" in the document, and it had no relation to the normal meaning of the word, and that caused a chain reaction where, legally, the regulations of that document applied normally to fish were also applicable to bees.

(That was my impression, I did not follow that case all that closely)
Sounds as if you are going to use your garage the same way many other people use their garages. You may be sharing too much information with the building department. On your application show a building that could be able to shelter a car and do not share what other items you will be putting in it.

Use common sense in deciding what to put in your garage.

If you are not allowed to use your garage for these normal purposes politely suggest the building department do a survey of other garages and start enforcement against them. It might be interesting if they will start by looking in the garages of the members of the city council. When the building department understands the push back they will receive it is likely they will be more reasonable.

If you are not allowed to use your garage for these normal purposes politely suggest the building department do a survey of other garages and start enforcement against them. It might be interesting if they will start by looking in the garages of the members of the city council. When the building department understands the push back they will receive it is likely they will be more reasonable.
Going to war with the building department?