• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What is a "Queen's Post" on a utility pole?

Yikes

Gold Member
I was on a conference call where someone was trying to describe a So Cal Edison utility diagram showing a power pole with a "QP" bracing, which they said was a Queen's Post. We were asking them to provide further clarification, but they had trouble communicating, and now I'm making my best guess:

Is this a Queen's Post?
1676672006827.png

1676672115234.png

Cannot provide a definition of queens post but its function is clear. The horizontal member along with the cable connecting it to the pole is part of a truss designed to reduce the bending in the pole that is caused by the forces in the horizontal cable at the top of the pole.

My understanding is that if the pole is provided by the utility which is regulated by the Public Utility Commission, then the building department has no jurisdiction.

A queen post is a vertical tension member in a truss, so queen post bracing is apparently named after that. The assembly shown seems to be known more commonly as a sidewalk guy, in that it’s used over sidewalks.

Thanks!
FYI, the utility plan is just that: a plan with no elevations. I’m just trying to see if I can make an accessible route underneath whatever they call a Queen Post. If a queen post is what I’ve shown in the photos, then I feel confident there’s enough headroom to create an accessible path underneath.

Otherwise, if it turns out that a QP is some kind of 45 degree wood or metal buttres/brace, then headroom may be an issue.

A queen post is a vertical tension member in a truss, so queen post bracing is apparently named after that. The assembly shown seems to be known more commonly as a sidewalk guy, in that it’s used over sidewalks.
I like that explanation. I had never heard of the term Queen Post, unless I was sleeping through a college structural engineering class.