• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What is an open bed frame?

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
This is under Accessible Dwelling Units and Sleeping Units:
2018 IBC 1002.15.2 Bed Frames. At least one bed shall be provided with an open bed frame.

If I google this question I get photos like this. Is this what the code means?

1692299363145.png

I believe it's open under the bed incase they need some kind of left that would have room for the feet or like when your in a hospital bed the portable tray that goes over your bed has feet with casters on it?

Only my speculation.

I believe it's open under the bed incase they need some kind of left that would have room for the feet or like when your in a hospital bed the portable tray that goes over your bed has feet with casters on it?

Only my speculation.
If this is true I wonder how many legs can be on the sides or if there is a minimum space required under the bed.

The referenced code is not the IBC, rather the ANSI standard. From the commentary to the 2017 ANSI standard. (sections were changed in this edition)

1102.15.2 Bed frames. At least one bed shall be provided with an open bed frame.

The open bed frame is intended to allow the use of a
bed lift such as a Hoyer lift to be used to transfer
either to or from the bed. If the bed is installed on a
solid platform, as is common at many hotels, the platform
does not allow for the supports of the lifts to
move under the bed. Having an open bed frame
allows the legs of the lift to extend under the bed and
provides a greater base of support for the lift so that it
is stable and secure during the transfer. Although the
language of Section 1102.15.2 could be viewed as
meaning that any one bed within the unit could have
the open frame, the language of Section 1102.15
should be used so that the bed with the open frame is
also the bed served by the clear floor space. This is a
reasonable interpretation since it will allow the person
to maneuver adjacent to the bed before using the lift
or allow an assistant to maneuver the lift into the clear
floor space before transferring the person back to the
bed. (See Commentary Figures C1102.15.1 and
C1102.15.2).
1692309901665.png

Only my speculation.
You get the gold star...And Sifu with the assist!

Here in California, we don't normally deal with ANSI 117.1, so I have to ask: under what legal scenario can building code prescribe non-building furniture?

Here in California, we don't normally deal with ANSI 117.1, so I have to ask: under what legal scenario can building code prescribe non-building furniture?

Our state law says we are to inspect to the IBC which sends us to ANSI

Only my speculation.
This is for an accessible apartment in a R1 building.

Are you referring to the bed frame? Or the Hoyer lift? Either way is it not the same authority for anything? Like an accessible dining table, or a pool lift, assuming those are also non-building furniture. Wouldn't the legal authority come from the adopting ordinance, (in most cases the adopted building code for scoping and the ANSI standard for technical provisions, either expressly adopted of by reference).

The same legal scenario that allows the building code to regulate the arc of the water at a water fountain.

So in order to meet building code, an accessible apartment must provide furniture, whether the tenant wants it or not?

Does the word "supplied" imply "installed", or merely "available for installation"?

- If it means "installed", and the tenant removes the bed frame because they don’t like or need it, is the apartment no longer code-compliant?
- If it means "available for installation", how far away from the apartment can it be stored before it is no longer considered available?

Lastly, I note that that recent changes to 117.1 now imply the presence of a mattress as well as a bed frame (though no minimum bed size is specified) in order to demonstrate compliance. Same questions as above - - what if the tenant doesn't like the size or firmness of the mattress:

1692475591814.png

Last edited: