• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What is this?

GrimBeeper

Hi there - I wonder if I can pick your brains on this - it's a 110 year old water line and (I think) ball valve shut off. The handle is rusted shut and doesn't look like it has moved in decades. I chipped away some of the accumulated grime and slapped a coat of paint on it, thinking I can just turn off the water at the street (very easy and exposed).
What I noticed before the paint had dried is that the thing in the middle appears to be leaking. Very slowly, but definitely leaking. I've never seen a valve like this - what is that opening in the center, and why would it be leaking? Can I repair this?
Thanks!
moxA0a

@ > @ > @

GrimBeeper,

Your image looks like a much older type of Quick Shut Off
valve, with a bleeder port, and the cap is missing.

@ < @ < @

Reactions: JBI
It is not a natural gas line???

Or what does this line feed??

Can you add a valve at what ever this feeds and maybe eliminate this one

north star has it, I have seen them before........in 100 year old houses. I was kinda surprised it is only"slightly" leaking, but then again, the opening through the pipe is most likely a fraction of the pipe.

How is your water pressure?

Thanks - I think it might be the original 100 or so year old valve. It's definitely the water main. The water supply is adequate, but not great. What does the cap look like? Any chance of finding one to fit this, or do I have to replace it? Thanks!

Thanks - I don't see any thread on it at all though. I suppose it could have corroded over time. Could I just epoxy it?

It looks like there is a hundred years of paint on there, the threads are buried.

You could try epoxy, but if it is weeping it might not take. If you do try and remove the paint, be careful with the threads when you do get to them.

This is a better image. The idea was, you didn't have to take it all the way off (and lose it), spin it open a couple turns, and it runs out the hole in the cap.

images

Thanks Fatboy - PCinspector - no - it looks like the thing in the link I posted above. Thanks for the help! I will try and find the threads and clean them off!

$ ~ $

GrimBeeper,

IMO, ...you would be better off by replacing that old
Shut Off Valve with a new, compression type Shut
Off Valve, and not expend any more time looking for
a cap......"IF" there are any threads left, they "most

probably" won't secure a cap to remain on there
when pressurized.

$ ~ $