• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What is wrong with this picture?

so or us non electrical people what is the answer???

Looks like neutral problem

Last edited:
This site won't let me click on the picture to take a closer look at it. That's what's wrong with the picture.

Is the utility "ground/neutral" allowed to identified that way? Load side grounding jumps ahead of main?

All of the ground/neutral lugs are connected by a solid piece of metal, they aren't disconnected by the breaker, so technically when the wires are connected on either side it serves the same function. The only problems I have ever seen about what's on the top and bottom of a meter/disconnect would have to do with what the power company wants. I don't know about other places but in my state the power company writes their own code book for that. And the guys working for the power company usually don't even know what their own book says.

So I think the only entity that would say the grounding conductor should be on the bottom would be the power company. I don't think that's a code issue, and I don't think it's the inspector's job to say no to that. Also, you only have so many lugs, and the wires have to go somewhere.

250.64(D)(3)

grounding electrode conductor shall be connected to the grounded service conductor(s)... on the supply side of the service disconnecting means.