• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What smart phone are you using?

I saw that you can get the I-codes subscription for the Ipod touch. Has anyone tried this? It would be nice to have all the codes in your pocket when the contractor says, "prove it."

In terms of phone I have the GZONE contractor's phone through Verizon. It is dust proof, water proof for five min., and drop proof from 15'. I dropped it off a second story scaffold onto a concrete floor last year. The battery fell off. I put it back on and it works fine. Phone is almost three years old and original battery still holds a full charge. When it decides to die I will buy the same one again.

Pwood,

CORRECTION:

After speaking with my wife I bought the Tracfone at Walmart for $19.95 this phone works best for someone who isn’t long winded.

I like how you can load the air-time into the phone as you need to without being tied into a contract.

I bought 450 air-time minutes online for $78.00 and Tracfone doubled my minutes to 900, you can also buy a phone card at a mini-mart type store.

I don’t spend much time per call on the phone but I like having a phone with me.

I just love it when you get a text message that says "Call me!" Well Duuh! Why didn't you just call me instead of texting. I'm sorry...I'm just not into this texting thing!

Just to wrap this up, I got an unlocked Nokia E71 from Amazon.

Syncs with Outlook, has true GPS, and connects to a regular Wireless LAN like a laptop (I can get my email without paying $30/month for G3).

Camera is good enough for jobsite work at 3.2 megapixels, and has good lighting and exposure controls. Also has a built in LED flash.

Battery life seems pretty good, and I got a car charger for $0.01 + $2.98 shipping from Amazon to go with it. How someone makes money on that, I don't know.

Crackberry ... er, Blackberry. I got one for my personal use then when I got to the city, they gave me one for city use (same model too). It looks like they are slowly going away, I'm very prejudice AGAINST apple products so I if at all possible I'll try to find anything except an Iphone when it's time to upgrade. Besides, I seem to have real problems with my stubby fingers trying to use those dad gum touch screens - I much prefer actual keys.

brudgers said:
Just to wrap this up, I got an unlocked Nokia E71 from Amazon. Syncs with Outlook, has true GPS, and connects to a regular Wireless LAN like a laptop (I can get my email without paying $30/month for G3).

Camera is good enough for jobsite work at 3.2 megapixels, and has good lighting and exposure controls. Also has a built in LED flash.

Battery life seems pretty good, and I got a car charger for $0.01 + $2.98 shipping from Amazon to go with it. How someone makes money on that, I don't know.
Let us know how it works out and give us some feedback after a while.

FYI I am on my 4th, yes 4th Blackberry Storm in 5 months. They just do not hold up at all. I would like an I Phone but cannot leave Verizon and Verizon blows away the competition where I live with coverage due to the mountains.

An inspector friend of mine bought a Droid for he and his daughter and is thrilled. I told him to call me in a month or two and give me a report then. I will probably be on my 5th Storm by then anyway (all under warranty)

My wife got an iPhone.

My impression is it's really cool visually, but it's got drawbacks as a phone.

I found it difficult to use with one hand because I can't use my thumb to hold it... wherever your my touches, the phone reads it as input.

It's the same issue I had eight years ago with one of these: http://www.visorcentral.com/content/Stories/1346-1.htm (I got mine as the first Treo's were coming out and the PCS module was $20.00).

I believe that using two hands creates a more engaging experience (which is backed up by the iPhone visuals), but I don't think it's a more efficient or productive one.