• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What Stairs Require ADA Compliance?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Interior and exterior stairs that are part of a required means of egress must meet the Standards. Compliance is required for all stairs on required egress routes, including those comprised of a single riser. The Standards do not apply to stairways that are not part of a required means of egress nor to alternating tread devices and “ship’s ladders.” The Standards exempt aisle stairs in assembly areas, stairs in non-public areas of detention and correctional facilities, and stairs of play components.

1701361252327.png

Agree... but I'd make note of the exceptions provided in 1009.1. For some reason, I have seen that these can be overlooked.

Also, really appreciate the topic. One aspect that I have seen as a point of confusion frequently is the difference between an accessible means of egress (Sec. 1009) and an accessible route (Sec. 1104). Stairs are a viable component of an accessible means of egress, but obviously are not a component of an accessible route. I see a lot of confusion regarding the two topics. Interested to see if a discussion follows regarding accessible MoE vs. accessible routes.

2021 IBC 1009.1 Accessible Means of Egress Required

Accessible means of egress shall comply with this section. Accessible spaces shall be provided with not less than one accessible means of egress. Where more than one means of egress is required by Section 1006.2 or 1006.3 from any accessible space, each accessible portion of the space shall be served by not less than two accessible means of egress.
Exceptions:

1. One accessible means of egress is required from an accessible mezzanine level in accordance with Section 1009.3, 1009.4 or 1009.5.
  2. In assembly areas with ramped aisles or stepped aisles, one accessible means of egress is permitted where the common path of egress travel is accessible and meets the requirements in Section 1030.8.

Agree... but I'd make note of the exceptions provided in 1009.1. For some reason, I have seen that these can be overlooked.

Also, really appreciate the topic. One aspect that I have seen as a point of confusion frequently is the difference between an accessible means of egress (Sec. 1009) and an accessible route (Sec. 1104). Stairs are a viable component of an accessible means of egress, but obviously are not a component of an accessible route. I see a lot of confusion regarding the two topics. Interested to see if a discussion follows regarding accessible MoE vs. accessible routes.

2021 IBC 1009.1 Accessible Means of Egress Required

Accessible means of egress shall comply with this section. Accessible spaces shall be provided with not less than one accessible means of egress. Where more than one means of egress is required by Section 1006.2 or 1006.3 from any accessible space, each accessible portion of the space shall be served by not less than two accessible means of egress.
Exceptions:

1. One accessible means of egress is required from an accessible mezzanine level in accordance with Section 1009.3, 1009.4 or 1009.5.
  2. In assembly areas with ramped aisles or stepped aisles, one accessible means of egress is permitted where the common path of egress travel is accessible and meets the requirements in Section 1030.8.
So is this the difference between the ADA and the IBC? Which one is more restrictive?

The difference; no. Significantly more than just this.

Generally, I find the IBC more forgiving; however, the IBC has been found to meet or exceed ADA and is considered a safe-haven document for design.

As you know the accessible route, Per ADA, shall be as close to the general circulation route as possible. (not just MOE)
You are not supposed to route the disabled to alternate access points for ingress and egress.
If the monumental stairs are new, they should be accessible

As you know the accessible route, Per ADA, shall be as close to the general circulation route as possible.
You are not supposed to route the disabled to alternate access points for ingress and egress.
Mark, I think you stumbled right into what I had mentioned.
One aspect that I have seen as a point of confusion frequently is the difference between an accessible means of egress (Sec. 1009) and an accessible route (Sec. 1104). Stairs are a viable component of an accessible means of egress, but obviously are not a component of an accessible route. I see a lot of confusion regarding the two topics. Interested to see if a discussion follows regarding accessible MoE vs. accessible routes.
Accessible routes are governed by ADA and IBC Ch. 11, and relate to normal operations of a building, in particular, as it relates to those with limited mobility or a disability.

Accessible means of egress, a function of IBC Ch. 10 (see 1009), is concerned with those non-typical operating conditions such as a fire or other emergency. In the case of these non-typical operating conditions, the accessible means of egress is not necessarily the same as the accessible route (per ADA/CH. 11).

You must separate in you review accessible MoE and accessible route. The requirements are not the same nor interchangeable.

Take this for an example...

I agree, a new monument stair should coincide with an accessible route and per IBC 1104.5 "Accessible routes shall coincide with or be located in the same area as a general circulation path." Obviously though, a monument stair cannot provide an accessible route; stairs are not a component of accessible routes and a ramp, lift, or elevator is needed.

However, a monument stair would likely be an interior exit access stairway. In most cases, these stairs are not part of the MoE. They may be used during a building evacuation, but are often not a part of the marked/designed MoE. The monument stairway is often in addition to the required MoE.

Therefore, as the monument stair is not part of the accessible MoE required by 1009.1 (posted above). However, if it were, then it would possibly require an area of refuge per 1009.3.3. A number of exceptions exist, but it is really not necessary in examples such as Jar put in the OP where two exit stairways are provided.

ADA in theory is stricter....per IBC 1009 only your fist 2 from a space need to be....Which very well might result in all required exits being accessible........

ADA in theory is stricter....per IBC 1009 only your fist 2 from a space need to be....Which very well might result in all required exits being accessible........
Apple and an orange. See above.

ADA must compare to IBC Ch. 11. Ch. 10 is means of egress.

What's different about an ADA-compliant stair compared to an IBC-compliant stair?

My first job in an architect's office was in 1966 (yeah, I know -- I'm older than dirt). Ever since then, the view of my state's State Building Inspector has been that, since stairs are addressed in the code only in Chapter 10 and since any stair may be used for egress -- whether or not it's part of a required means of egress -- the chapter 10 requirements for stairs apply to all stairs in a building.

So we can ignore 504 & 505 of the 2010 ADA Standards? I missed where those sections are optional, can you point me to the documentation?
Didn't say that.

But what I will say is that per the 2010 ADA Standard, a stairway is not a component of an accessible route.

2010 ADA Standard

402.2 Components

Accessible routes shall consist of one or more of the following components: walking surfaces with a running slope not steeper than 1:20, doorways, ramps, curb ramps excluding the flared sides, elevators, and platform lifts. All components of an accessible route shall comply with the applicable requirements of Chapter 4.

Said it right here
You are misunderstanding my intent then.

There is no such thing as an ADA accessible route that includes stairs. ADA may have provisions (very limited) that include requirements for stairs, but the stairs themselves cannot be a part of the accessible route. ADA, similar to the IBC, does provide some minimal requirements aimed at enhancing user-function and access on stairways, but this is to benefit the means of egress - not as a means of providing for accessible use.

You are misunderstanding my intent then.

There is no such thing as an ADA accessible route that includes stairs. ADA may have provisions (very limited) that include requirements for stairs, but the stairs themselves cannot be a part of the accessible route. ADA, similar to the IBC, does provide some minimal requirements aimed at enhancing user-function and access on stairways, but this is to benefit the means of egress - not as a means of providing for accessible use.
Incorrect.

There is nothing in the ADA (or A117.1) that isn't intended to improve accessibility. Accessibility is not only wheelchairs. The requirements are for people with mobility and vision impairments also. They aren't in wheelchairs, but can still benefit from accessible design.

Incorrect.

There is nothing in the ADA (or A117.1) that isn't intended to improve accessibility. Accessibility is not only wheelchairs. The requirements are for people with mobility and vision impairments also. They aren't in wheelchairs, but can still benefit from accessible design.
You are clearly not understanding what my intent is.

2010 ADA Standard

402.2 Components

Accessible routes shall consist of one or more of the following components: walking surfaces with a running slope not steeper than 1:20, doorways, ramps, curb ramps excluding the flared sides, elevators, and platform lifts. All components of an accessible route shall comply with the applicable requirements of Chapter 4.
Per the ADA, stairs are not a component of an accessible route.

My intent is to say, as I have posted multiple times in this thread, stairs are not a component of an accessible route.

I agree with what you are saying in general. I am not arguing what you have said. I am just pointing out a single area wherein precision matters.

Incorrect.
Please inform me wherein a stair can be a part of an accessible route? 402.2 indicates otherwise.

2010 ADA Standard

402.2 Components

I believe what you 2 are arguing over might be like HR extensions and braille signs that would apply to stairs which are intended for people that may have challenges, but are not in a wheelchair...

I am just pointing out a single area wherein precision matters.
Indeed. Please find where I posted anything about an accessible route.

ADA, similar to the IBC, does provide some minimal requirements aimed at enhancing user-function and access on stairways, but this is to benefit the means of egress - not as a means of providing for accessible use.
Also incorrect.

Indeed. Please find where I posted anything about an accessible route.

Also incorrect.
I have posted consistently about accessible routes, and you have replied to my posts. Vis a vis...

Please clarify. You are quick to indicate "incorrect" but have yet to substantiate.

I have posted consistently about accessible routes, and you have replied to my posts. Vis a vis...

Please clarify. You are quick to indicate "incorrect" but have yet to substantiate.
I'm already bored with this. I pointed out very clearly where your statements were inaccurate. I think most other readers can follow along even if you can't.