• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What to ask for in a new building for your department?

SCBO1

Platinum Member
Our community is considering a new muni-building. If you were asked what your department needs in the way of space, rooms access etc., what would you like to see in your new space?

So for I've got Building official office, codes/inspectors office with a larger room with island counter to roll out plans that would have a future permit tech area. in other words one room large room with two office spaces attached with patron access with a counter. I don't get my own floor.

Storage room?

Access, any concern for muddy boots, should it have a separate access door for the contractor that doesn't clean their boots.

Have you seen someone else's set up that your envy of?

Your thoughts?

cda, no we don't have unlimited funds!

Last edited by a moderator:
conference room with big screen/smart board and some sort of interface for everyone to connect.

PS...you can watch the games or races too, HA!!!:p

So what other departments are in the building??

I always want my own crapper.

Security, keep the irate ex employees out.

So what other departments are in the building??

I always want my own crapper.

Security, keep the irate ex employees out.

The Police! Rox....ann!

My own crapper ain't gonna happen, but we can wish for the moon, can't we?

I'm sure my office will be in front of their office's, we take a lot of flack!

The Police! Rox....ann!

My own crapper ain't gonna happen, but we can wish for the moon, can't we?

I'm sure my office will be in front of their office's, we take a lot of flack!

Sounds like you have it covered,

Now for the niceties

Drone landing zone, for use on remote inspections.

Lever espresso machine, in the break room

We just went through this exercise last year, we have a slighly larger department though, and share functions/spaces with Fire, Code, and Civil inspectors. Totally set up with our electronic protocals in place. Happy to share plans with you for your review for ideas. Send me your email in a PM if you are interested.

Depending on the personal Computer office set up,,

I have wondered why big ih desks and credenza are still needed??

I would want more space
Less furniture

And parking spot for the golf cart??? And personal entrance?
I'm actually still waiting on the bathroom but I did get the corner office overlooking the golf course. Golf cart would be nice though as I get tired walking to the driving range at lunch. :cool:

@ ~ @ ~ >

If there are any dedicated Plans Examiner offices, have

a large, tilt-able drafting table to review plans on......I
agree with "much less furniture" and having more space,
...a larger than normal Conference Room with tele-video
conferencing capabilities, ...employee secured entrances
are a must these days.........Too many irate Contractors
& citizens !

< ~ @ ~ @

Don't forget to look into the future. Will you be growing where you will need to hire more staff? Will you have room to add them in the future. I added two positions in the last ten years and work space for them was hard to achieve. Basically had to convert two small storage rooms into office space which did not have electrical or data in those areas. Public Works Dept had the same problems bringing on 3 new staff positions in ten years

Your plan is going to dramatically change for digital offerings vs. paper plans/applications. Plan archives, workspace design, libraries... IMHO you will not find a plan that works for both. Our office has changed to digital submissions/review and we have a lot of poorly utilized space now. Three things that would be relevant to both though:
- Security
- Digital meeting space
- Historic paper codes library

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. I came up with a minimum of three office spaces and one large multi purpose space with a sit down table. Was working on a 10,000+ population number.

Submitted: 1) Building Official/Plans examiner office, 2) Field Inspector/Codes Inspector office, 3) GIS/IT office dude office and a future 4) Permit Tech/counter person in the large multi purpose space with access to public. Meeting space for plan role out.

Closet big enough to house another office person for expansion.

Requested exterior getaway door and tile floor for mud.

Office spaces with acoustical ceilings and carpet to cut down on noise. Auto off/on light switches to office spaces with EE lighting.

Hall lockers or coat closet, foyer kiosk for future electronic permitting and future big screen TV including review screens

And yes bookcases in each office.

Red swingline stapler requested!:eek: