• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What To Do, What To Do......Fire Damaged Home (long)

Alias

Local family had a fire on March 24th. This is the third fire at their property, the second fire was the garage, and I wasn't here for the first. This fire was in the front bedroom, and appears to have been electrical. Our local volunteer fire department got the fire out in a couple hours and cut a hole in the roof. The power was cut to the house at the time of the fire.

Here is what is happening and causing me a HUGE headache. A week after the fire, on Caesar Chavez Day, the 31st, while I was running errands I noticed a pick-up with racks at the home in question. I had the day off, got in to work on Friday and got the message from an out-of-town electrical contractor. Called him and got him squared away with a permit, city business license, etc. He subcontracts with Clean Rite Build Rite who were contacted by the insurance company to clean-up the aftermath of the fire. Temporary power was granted and hooked up last Friday.

Today, my boss and I were talking about how there has been no progress on the clean-up so I called Clean Rite Build Rite to ask if they had any questions, if they have a timeline to have the property cleaned up, need building permits, etc. We found out that they have quit the job due to conditions inside the house. He required his employee(s) to wear protective clothing due to the piles of dog feces, rats, and stacks of 'stuff'. The foregoing was bad enough but when the employee(s) found hypodermic needles in the bathroom and burned bedroom in the house, the clean-up was over by Clean Rite Build Rite.

So, my boss, the Director of Public Works; the Chief of Police; the Environmental Health guy; and myself made a call to the insurance adjuster. Our worst fears have been realized, the family has decided to do the clean-up and all the repairs themselves (including electrical). There isn't a contractor in the bunch and there are several small children involved.

We have serious concerns that this project will ever be completed, done correctly, etc., etc., etc. The reason for the concern on our local AHJ is because we have sent them nuisance abatement notices every year since 2005, and I sent out a couple notices in the late 90's. These folks are hoarders and never throw anything away. The city cleaned-up the front and back yards in 2007. It took all day, the entire public works crew of 5 plus the asst. DPW, the DPW, the Chief and Lieutenant of PD; 7 dump trucks of 'stuff' went to the dump; plus animal control seized the dog chained in the back yard. So, this is the history and the dilemma we face.

Your opinion please!

How do we make sure that the property gets cleaned up and rehabbed/demolished/etc.?

I'm considering red-tagging the property to be sure the property is cleaned up in a timely manner using the IPMC, probably tomorrow.

As the original contractor has been fired, I suspended the temporary electrical permit today and power has been cut. My one requirement and the power company lineman's was that ALL electrical work be performed by a licensed CA electrician. My reasoning is that the permit is under the original electrician's name and license.

Any and all (reasonable) suggestions on how to proceed will be entertained. Thanks for listening and sorry for the long post.

Moderator, please move if necessary.

Get children's services involved and get the kids out of the house (at least in most places, that's pretty easy to do). It also turns out to be a HUGE hammer in your hand.

All of the pleasant stuff you found is documented by others than yourself; start condemnation proceedings immediately and suggest to the police they charge the parents with endangering the welfare of a child... that'll get their attention (not only is the home no longer going to be there.. they will have a new dwelling - jail).

Child welfare will probably also be bound to make welfare checks on the kids.. if they are EVER returned.

It works.. I've done it.

$ $ $ $

Sue,

I would contact your local Health Dept., Dept. of Human Services ( i.e. - possible

life endangerment to the children ), Fire Dept., & your AHJ attorney, and

consolidate your efforts......Ya'll have a meeting & form a strategy to address

the immediate life safety issues, ...the "not-so-immediate" life safety issues,

and so on and so on, and on down the line.....Also, if the owners have to move

out, ...do they have they somewhere to go to?....Any relatives, ...other resources

to utilize?....Is there any type of social agency to assist you, in your area?....Does

the state have any resources you could contact?

Essentially, this is going to take a long term, multi-resource effort to

address, ...which is why you & your AHJ need to come up with a "Moving

Target" type of strategy.....What is of most concern today may not be so

tomorrow....Try to have some Plan "A", ...Plan "B", ...Plan "C", ...Plan "D"

contingencies, either formulated or in the works.

This should not be only "your" efforts involved!....Seek as much help as

you can find, ...as quick as you can!

The "peach" beat me to the punch line!...It's all about the cheer-ren!

$ $ $ $

oh, they'll grab the kids outta there in a hurry if they are remotely competent. Depending on how bonded parents are to children, you can get ongoing compliance quickly... maybe.

Mom, Dad, cousins, whoever may well be sitting in jail, so there's no one to oppose the condemnation proceedings. Get an order (most judges will give them 30 days to start compliance.. which they can't do from jail)... hire a demo company and bye-bye house.

In most cases, Mom (now in jail) is going to sing like a bird to implicate everyone but herself..

And children's services are going to watch out for the kids should they be returned... from the foster family where the kids are safer and probably cleaner, happier, and fed better. It's not always a long procedure.

north star -

Already have had a meeting with Enviro Health, PD (Chief), and my boss, DPW this afternoon. That is why I am here, posting the ugly details. None of us have EVER faced this type of situation before. Oh, and the Enviro Health guy is a VF and was actually in the house for the fire.

We all cringed when we found out that the family is cashing out and will be doing the work themselves. A couple years ago, when their garage burned, they did the same thing but didn't replace the garage. Bought a shed and went to Disneyland instead. We are all having visions of a similar scenario but this time the house will be left 'as is' and the city will be footing the clean-up bill with taxpayers' money that we don't have to spare. I am looking for some good ideas on how to guarantee that the work will be done in the correct manner with the insurance money and not the taxpayers.

I'm drawing up a letter in the AM, posting the house as condemned, and letting the chips fall as they may. We are hoping that this gets the attention of the mortgage company before they receive the insurance check and release the money to the homeowner. Chief of Police dug up section for citing every day it sits as a nuisance, that might get their attention..........

JBI said:
This one is going to get ugly, Sue... no doubt about it.
It is already there......... Luckily I have ALL the powers that be on board, these folks have been a pain in the :butt to the community for way too long.

peach said:
Get children's services involved and get the kids out of the house (at least in most places, that's pretty easy to do). It also turns out to be a HUGE hammer in your hand.All of the pleasant stuff you found is documented by others than yourself; start condemnation proceedings immediately and suggest to the police they charge the parents with endangering the welfare of a child... that'll get their attention (not only is the home no longer going to be there.. they will have a new dwelling - jail).

Child welfare will probably also be bound to make welfare checks on the kids.. if they are EVER returned.

It works.. I've done it.
Peach -

Easier said than done, CPS has been called on them in the past and the kids weren't removed. I wish the cleaning company had called CPS as we were told that they thought of doing. *sigh* Maybe someone at CPS would have listened if it was an out-of-towner that had called.

Rumor has it that they have moved into a nice house in a nice neighborhood here in town. No one is sure if they are buying or renting, just have heard that the family is having trouble getting a rental......

Don't you have lightning strikes in your area and a dead battery in the fire truck? May be next time the fire department will let it burn.

& & & &

Do you, or anyone involved, have any contacts at the state level ?

State Attorney General for some guidance? :eek:

& & & &

Seriously I believe you are doing all you can and yes the taxpayers will foot the bill. Notify the mortgage company and maybe they will hold the money in escrow untill the repairs are made or the home removed

mtlogcabin said:
Don't you have lightning strikes in your area and a dead battery in the fire truck? May be next time the fire department will let it burn.
Have heard a few comments from locals that the VFD is too efficient, got there too fast. ;)

north star said:
& & & &Do you, or anyone involved, have any contacts at the state level ?

State Attorney General for some guidance? :eek:

& & & &
I'm sure someone does. If it gets to that point, we'll have already built a case. Talk is to cite and tie them up in court with the citations. Like I said, none of us have ever had a case like this.

Sue, as MLC said, all signs are pointing to the city footing the bill; everything you have said tells me that it's not going to be done any other way. The question is, do they want to do it sooner or later? The sooner the city manager accepts that, the sooner you can abate the dangerous building.

Sue:

Since there have been three fires and the owner has settled and taken the money from his insurance company in all three cases, has the fire marshal conducted an arson investigation?

Criminalize mental illness - great idea, Peach.

But breaking up a family because they don't meet your standards certainly tops it.

BTW, how long have you been licensed as a mental health professional?

This post makes my job feel like such a cakewalk.

Sounds to me like the insurer could stipulate how claims are disbursed.

conarb said:
Sue:Since there have been three fires and the owner has settled and taken the money from his insurance company in all three cases, has the fire marshal conducted an arson investigation?
CalFire did the last one, probably the two before. The CalFire arson investigator said it was electrical. After talking with the various companies involved with the latest fire, I'm hearing of outlets that have burn marks all through the house. I am not an arson investigator so, I don't know if this is usual or not. Maybe FMWB or one of the other firemen on this board can answer this question for me.

texasbo said:
Sue, as MLC said, all signs are pointing to the city footing the bill; everything you have said tells me that it's not going to be done any other way. The question is, do they want to do it sooner or later? The sooner the city manager accepts that, the sooner you can abate the dangerous building.
There is no one living in the house currently. The house is posted. I took pictures of the clean-up 'progress' on my way to work this AM. This is such a nice property to drive by every workday......(dripping sarcasm)........

As to getting everyone on board, that has been accomplished. As we have no city manager, the city treasurer was briefed.

jim baird said:
This post makes my job feel like such a cakewalk.Sounds to me like the insurer could stipulate how claims are disbursed.
Jim -

You hit the nail on the head. I am looking for any info on how to make sure that the funds are really going to be used to do the clean-up and rehab/demo of the home. Rumors of Disneyland are already circulating.........and with a large family, that is expensive.

We did find out that they do have a mortgage on the home so we are hoping that the bank might just take a hand in the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
% % % %

Sue,

Ask your AHJ leader; whomever that is, to contact the bank and ask

for their direct assistance in this matter......The Police Chief, ...the Fire

Marshall, ...the Building Official and anyone else with authority......Banks

tend to take a very dim viewpoint of their assets being dimenished or

used inappropriately!

% % % %

north star said:
% % % %Sue,

Ask your AHJ leader; whomever that is, to contact the bank and ask

for their direct assistance in this matter......The Police Chief, ...the Fire

Marshall, ...the Building Official and anyone else with authority......Banks

tend to take a very dim viewpoint of their assets being dimenished or

used inappropriately!

% % % %
We are working on this as I type. I am the entire building department for a small city of about 2,500, so, I guess this makes me the BO. Myself and my boss, the Director of Public Works, talked to the insurance adjuster yesterday and she is checking with her boss to see if she can release the mortgage holder's information to us.

Sue:

I posted in the other thread on this, but when you do a notice and order for condemnation, you are required to notify all those with feduciary interest "BANK". That has always gotten action quicker than anything. If the mortgage is recorded, which it should be, you might want to contact your local Assessor's Office and Clerk/Recorder's Office to get the information. It is public record and should be available at the local courthouse. A good working relationship with the Assessor and Clerk/Recorder are essential to your work!

Carol in the Wilds of Idaho