• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What's an access-controlled egress door?

LGreene

I know the answer to this question. The problem is trying to convince people of the answer. There is a section in NFPA 101 with this title, and there was a section in the IBC until the 2015 edition when it was changed to "Sensor Release of Electromagnetically Locked Egress Doors." I have been involved in code development for the electrified hardware sections so I know that the intent of the model codes is for this section to apply to electrified hardware that is released by a sensor detecting an approaching occupant. Most electrified hardware does not fall into this category - this section is mostly used for electromagnetic locks. There is a separate section that is used when the electromagnetic lock is released by hardware mounted on the door rather than released by a sensor.

I have written about this numerous times, including this recent article: http://idighardware.com/2017/07/decoded-access-controlled-egress-doors-august-2017/, but I still have people interpreting the terminology "access-controlled egress door" to mean that the section applies to doors with any type of access control reader, even though the section clearly addresses hardware released by a sensor.

Any ideas about how I can help explain the use of this section?

Either diagram/ picture?

I do not see a white board video on your site ??

Maybe video?

Either diagram/ picture?

I do not see a white board video on your site ??

Maybe video?

I'm working on a video about the two code sections that apply to mag-locks. Hopefully that will help but usually the problem is that the AHJ has made up his/her mind before someone contacts me, so then I have to try to explain another interpretation.

I guess the thing I do not like, is there are so many diiferent titles/ set ups in IBC.

Than you have the installer and ahj using different language/ terms that confuses it more.

Maybe the submitter/ installer should call out which edition and section of IBC that they are using.

As an ahj I like when I see a code section, or standard section, so I do not have to guess or delay while I ask what are you doing??

I guess the thing I do not like, is there are so many diiferent titles/ set ups in IBC.

Than you have the installer and ahj using different language/ terms that confuses it more.

Maybe the submitter/ installer should call out which edition and section of IBC that they are using.

As an ahj I like when I see a code section, or standard section, so I do not have to guess or delay while I ask what are you doing??

That makes sense!