• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What's coming in the 2024 IRC

Glenn

For those interested, here's an article with some information about proposals for the 2024 IRC that I wrote last year for Fine Homebuilding.

I'm now working on an article for the Journal of Light Construction to share the preliminary results (hoping final action is released soon). Obviously, I'm choosing ones that I think are interesting and worth sharing to the building community, but if you are aware of a change you think is important to share to the public, please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

I like the idea of car chargers but by the time PA uses the 2024 codes most people would need to have them already.

Are the chargers likely to stay in IRC? I'm sure many jurisdictions will amend it out if it does stay in.
RB88-22 for car chargers is only the inclusion of mandatory standards, UL 2202 and UL 2594. "where provided". So not mandatory to provide, just that what's provided meets the standards. It was approved as submitted with no public comment.

Most places in PA you don't need a permit and inspection when installing a car charging station in a house and except in a few cities we don't require or have licensed electricians. It would be safer if it was required for new houses then it would be inspected and safer. They will need it sooner or later.