• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Whats wrong with this installation?

This photo show unfaced insulation with the R rating printed on it. Quit common herehttp://forums.finehomebuilding.com/breaktime/photo-gallery/indoor-pool-room-part-1-construction' rel="external nofollow">

http://forums.finehomebuilding.com/breaktime/photo-gallery/indoor-pool-room-part-1-construction#

There are no "facings" on unfaced batts.
Missed that one :oops:

The energy "instructors" that we have been able to have here are stressing the importance of having the insulation be in contact with the gypsum board on the walls and ceiling. The thermal images of cold areas are impressive to say the least, and the tempature differences across the ceiling and wall surfaces can be 3 to 10 degrees.

I see it is not address in the code except for floor insulation, might be something in the future as more studies are done.

I believe I have seen some yellow unfaced insulation that is ink-marked with the R-value, I could be dreaming. (Certainteed maybe?)

Could the ceiling still receive white bead board between the batts and a wood beadboard ceiling? Just wondering! Gypsum may not be in play here!

pc1

Last edited by a moderator:
See the walls, The ceiling material is probably wood.

As Stated by Frank, Depending on climate zone, facing on the interior may be undesirable. That's why I asked the question as to where this is located.

Pcinspector1 said:
I believe I have seen some yellow unfaced insulation that is ink-marked with the R-value, I could be dreaming. (Certainteed maybe?)Could the ceiling still receive white bead board between the batts and a wood beadboard ceiling? Just wondering! Gypsum may not be in play here!

pc1
Not dreaming, I'm seeing it on all makes now, anytime I have poly vapor barriers, I'm seeing black ink R vlues on the unfaced.

mtlogcabin may be right, I do recall reading II stating insulation must be to the face of surrounding material (ie - wood or metal studs, joists, etc...) or something to that effect.

Don't assume, we do not have the climate zone location or the finish materials

Armstrong Ceilings

Cathedral Ceilings

Installing plank on a cathedral ceiling

http://www.armstrong.com/resclgam/na/ceilings/en/us/article18428.html

19048.jpg

You guys just don't get out much

Keystone said:
Ughh, simple recollection stated and warrior like response provided. You can catch more flies with honey than you can by swatting at them.
But not as much fun
stock-photo-cartoon-bug-about-to-be-squashed-by-a-fly-swatter-52958431.jpg

In the south (about 1,900 Heating Degree Days) it is unimportant where the vapor diffusion retarder goes. For climates even farther south and generally hotter and more humid, some professionals recommend omitting the vapor diffusion retarder completely. This is due to the winter heating loads and summer cooling loads being roughly equal. Any location ends up having the vapor diffusion retarder on the wrong side of the structure during part of the year. However, other building science research indicates that it should be applied directly under the exterior finish and is sometimes itself the exterior finish.

U.S. Department of Energy

http://www.energysavers.gov/your_home/insulation_airsealing/index.cfm/mytopic=11810

Also applies to areas in the southwest

Twenty years ago or so, I went to a seminar on blow-in cellulose insulation and the presenter (a Jerry Clower look-a-like) admitted he worked for a government agency and that he required polyethylene on ceilings as a spec. Big, Big mistake he claimed. He told a story that the poly collected moisture which in turn bowed the ceiling down. He soon removed the requirement and he no longer works for that government entity. He was promoting cellulose insulation to builders to save energy for the local coop.

pc1

Climatic zone in the US vary greatly, ranging from the polar extreme to tropical climates. California alone has 16 different zones.

In desert, tropical and subtropical regions the daytime temperature can be uncomfortably high, particularly during the warmer seasons and in low altitude locations. However, the differences between regions are immense, depending mainly on the distance from the equator and on altitude.

Air humidity influences the precipitation pattern and the amount of solar radiation that reaches the housing.

Air humidity determines whether or not you put in a moisture barrier and where it is placed.

Manufacturers do not always address the different Climatic zones.

Is the roof ventilated? The thermal and air control boundaries are not continuous and contiguous...not a code violation but poor building science.