• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

When is an exception not an exception?

KZQuixote

Sawhorse
Hi Folks,

I'm stumbling on section R301.2.2. Exception says that detached one and two family dwellings in seismic C are exempt from the seismic requirements of this code.

My problem is that section R602.10 is still very much enforced in my city and county.

What is it that I'm missing here?

TIA

Bill

I see that I should have posted this in the "Residential Building Codes" forum sorry.

Can you move it or is it even necessary?

Thanks

Bill

An exception is not an exception when it does not apply to the reason for the lateral bracing

In RI all residences are exempt from Seismic requirements yet all of the bracing requied by 602.10 is required because of the other lateral force induction mechanism.

WIND