• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

When the deck comes tumbling down

jar546

Forum Coordinator
For the size of this deck, it does not appear to be even remotely close to being over capacity. This is pretty good video of the actual collapse as seen from 2 different angles. Enjoy and please comment.

Great share! I need to add that to my collection of deck failures... So many deck builders just don't know better, or understand the importance of proper connectors and fastener placement.

I saw information about that deck collapse somewhere else. I believe the issue was that the only connection from the front beam to the support posts were nails that had rusted through!

In the last video you can see the toddler reach for the table on the way down....He knew what was going on. I remember seeing that before as well and thought it was a rusted fastener issue as well and possibly bearing...

Concentrated load to the perimeter caused whatever attachment they had at the support posts to let go.
Would be interesting to see how the deck was attached to these posts. Obviously defective installation.

I found the deck post connection on a screen grab, but don't know how to post the picture without the URL. No wonder this deck collapsed. I am sure someone will get sued.
You can see 6 nails at the post for attachment. Amazing it lasted that long before the collapse.

I found the deck post connection on a screen grab, but don't know how to post the picture without the URL. No wonder this deck collapsed. I am sure someone will get sued.
You can see 6 nails at the post for attachment. Amazing it lasted that long before the collapse.

If there is a permit, EVERYONE will get sued....

We don't allow flush mount. The beam must bear directly on the column. In construction where the guard posts are continuation of the column, the contractor must notch the column for the beam to sit on it.