• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

When your off the clock

SCBO1

Platinum Member
Do you find yourself inspecting when your off the clock?

At a restaurant I look up and see that the light fixture canopy is not fastened properly and I see the wiring and nuts. Then my eyes notice two more and my wife sez STOP it, this place is't going to burn down!

They used the wrong joist hangers, look they did'nt support that beam? Just STOP, will ya! Eat your dinner! :evil:

I suppose you all just look at the waitress's ;)

Re: When your off the clock

When my now wife and I were dating 30 plus years ago I would stop in the middle of dinner and ask her to tell me where the exits were without moving her head. I also told her the cross bracing on the Hancock Tower in Chicago were emergency slides. She bought that until I finally had to fess up. She is much more aware of her location in buildings as a result of renewing my contract yearly. I married up, so I'm careful how far I push work with home life.

PC,

I know what you mean. Sit down and look around and you start start pointing. Or better yet, go to a little music venue in the middle of nowhere and look around and think if this were to burn, we are all dead. LOL

Thats when I stop looking at the building and start looking at the ladies in the crowd, and to tell truth, they are more fun to look at!

Exits, stairs, handrails handrails and guards always get me. Drives the wife crazy, can't help myself.

Other than spotting the obvious empty glass and submitting my review of such to the waitress, I tend to be more mindful of the food I am trying to enjoy. Having said that, if the place is dirty, I'll notice that and comment on it as well, prior to telling my wife that we have to go.

And I thought I was the only one who did that! What's worse now is the wife points stuff out too....she would make a good inspector for someone! :twisted:

My wife won't look at me the first ten to fifteen minutes we're in a new place, because she knows that I'm scanning for exits, obstructions, etc. She thinks I'm crazy or obsessed. She doesn't get it (or maybe I don't?) My kids are getting used to being reminded about NOT being a lemming if the alarm goes off - get low, wait to see which way is both close AND SAFE!

She did, however, allow EDITH to visit our home a few times...

One of my instructors had a great story. His wife was a chaperone for an overnight school trip. Upon arrival at the Hotel, she began walking her group through a fire drill, the other chaperones laughed. That night the Hotel ran a formal drill (some actually do the necessary!). My instructors' wife was outside with all of her charges within a minute. When the rest of them finally arrived with their straggling groups, they approached her collectively and asked "What was that you were doing with the kids earlier...?"

Mule - G-d bless her!

Yep, all of the above. What's worse though, is when I see something non-compliant in my jurisdiction. :eek:

Quite a bit actually. Had a Denny's in the bay area, awful smell of sewer gas. I was there with the hubby and his stepson and I told them we needed to leave and eat somewhere else. I turned that Denny's in to the health department and it was shut down. I figured I saved at least us from a case of tomaine. :mrgreen:

Sue, ogling the waiters......... :cool:

When I was a framer, I used to "cross sight" posts and columns while sitting in restaurants, etc..... now I look for exits, fire extinguishers, etc..... still driving my wife nuts....

A little off topic...but it's kind of funny:

My eight year old daughter and her friend took our junior firefighter camp last summer, a few weeks after the camp, her friends mom and dad were watching the news where it showed a fire apparatus stuck in a sink hole in L.A..... her mom calls out to her: " Hey there's a fire truck stuck in a hole!" my daughters friend says "That's not a fire truck, that's a fire engine!" Her parents said "It's the same thing!" and she says " No it's NOT!" and she proceeded to tell them the difference between a fire truck and a fire engine....... her mom had to call to tell me that they just got schooled by an eight year old..... :lol:

You guys should be so ashamed, looking at other women when your wife is around. I would never do such a thing, such a thing, such a thing.......

Big Mac said:
You guys should be so ashamed, looking at other women when your wife is around. I would never do such a thing, such a thing, such a thing.......
I barely understand this behaviour. I have a lot of friends I go out with and their eyes wander 99% of the time. "Hey she's hot" I'm like "yeah, she is ok looking" but nothing I should be spending any amount of time on. I mean, for my eye to wander, she has GOT TO BE drop dead gorgeous, otherwise I have a steak or cheeseburger or some other food item or ball game I am concentrating on. My friends, and I think a lot of guys in general, just look at all women out of some real base instinct and don't even realize they are doing it. Probably the way you guys are staring at code violations.

I have to admit I don't pay much attention to exiting, but the first few minutes in a new building is spent looking around and critiquing the aesthetics of a place. I probably look pretty silly with my head slowly bobbing up and down and all around as I walk through a space. In a nice restaurant, I'll continue to do that while eating. If the place is a hole in the wall then I don't bother paying much attention to my surroundings.

Yes to all of the above! I even use my phone to record violation in other ahj's. :ugeek:

When we visit friends I am instructed not to look at the house. :lol:

I was caught once measuring the rise on a set of steps! Had an ear beating all the way home. :roll:

I always know where the additional exists are located and typically don't sit with my back to a main entrance. If I notice a serious hazard I may talk to someone of authority very nicely to just give them a head's up and if they are an A hole about it, I'll drop a dime to the AHJ the following day. I'm never off duty unless sleeping or during March Madness.......Go Siena ;)

Edit: Spelling :geek:

When I retired; I forgot all about the codes. Never gave them a thought for 2 years.

Ya'll need to learn a little self-restraint; like me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Uncle Bob

UB: That is funny! :lol:

Now! How about those who went to Baltimore last fall and witness the fire Marshall shutting down the ICC hearings for none compliance! When I walked into the room I was just amazed at all the violations on egress and and lack of provision for any people in need of ADA requirements.

What a joke!

RJJ,

Visit to her friends new home, "Don't say anything"!!

Hey dude come down and check out my new bar in the basement, watch your head on that floor joist, I took the handrail off, it was a real pain. Watch this last step it's off a bit!

You want a beer? Like this makes me feel better, scotch? make mine a triple!

ME: Hey where's your I-beam post? The builder put those 2x4's in until he can get the right steel post (lolli-column).

If this was a restaurant, CHECK PLEASE!!

Hun, "what did you think of the house, pridy was'nt it"! Why can't we have something like that?

Wait, wait, wait

Man it hurts when you bite your tounge!

ROTFLMAO, UB.......thanks, make me clean coffee off my moniter.

One of the worst was a comedy club in downtown Denver. In a basement, long corridor to get in. Once we were in, we were as far away from the main entrance as you could get. So for the first minute I am scoping out the other exits, fortunatelly there was one real close, but not very obvious. Told my wife and two friends, if something happens we go that way, too that exit, forget about the way we came in.

They looked at me like I was on drugs or something. Oh well.......

Rjj:

Sorry for the interruption in Baltimore ;) Our group was the ones moving chairs and then someone :?: decided....hey...... yea this doesn't look good for a code hearing and all of a sudden the uniforms showed up. Reminds me of meetings attended where no one begins egress flow upon activation of notification appliances.

Others:

For those of us having little ones heading off to college, remember to drill them on the importance of knowing their exits in dorms just like at hotels and concert venues, never know what will stick in a time of need.

Where I lived in San Jose, CA......

3 story older apartment building with parking underneath and laundry room with a 'game room' off of the laundry room all at ground level. Future hubby was showing me around and we went into the 'game room' and I had an apoplectic fit. Someone had removed about 8 feet of the steel girder that was supporting the building. Talk about stoopid............... :roll:

Sue