• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Where is the requirement for tenant spaces to be separate?

Raymond Lino Belli

I am being asked by my plan checker to separate each commercial tenant space.
The HVAC and power systems are to be separate for each tenant and have a separate address?
I can not get a response as to where it is the code that requires it? We are talking B & M occupancies.
I am in CBC country.

2016 CBC 402.4.1.1 Covered and open mall buildings
402.4.2 Fire-resistance-rated separation
Fire-resistance-rated separation is not required between tenant spaces and the mall. Fire-resistance-rated separation is not required between a food court and adjacent tenant spaces or the mall.
402.4.2.1 Tenant separations
Each tenant space shall be separated from other tenant spaces by a fire partition complying with Section 708. A tenant separation wall is not required between any tenant space and the mall.

2016 CBC 402.4.1.1 Covered and open mall buildings
402.4.2 Fire-resistance-rated separation
Fire-resistance-rated separation is not required between tenant spaces and the mall. Fire-resistance-rated separation is not required between a food court and adjacent tenant spaces or the mall.
402.4.2.1 Tenant separations
Each tenant space shall be separated from other tenant spaces by a fire partition complying with Section 708. A tenant separation wall is not required between any tenant space and the mall.

It is not a mall, just a little 8,000sf office building, all suites have exterior doors.

May be a local thing

We have the added requirement

Or maybe

They don’t want one tenant controlling the others heat/air??

I am not into hvac

Most places also want a meter for each suite

They want each tenant to control their own HVAC and electrical sub panel.
I see the benefit, but I have also seen incubator type offices where it is possible to lease an individual office, where you do not control power or HVAC.

They want each tenant to control their own HVAC and electrical sub panel.
I see the benefit, but I have also seen incubator type offices where it is possible to lease an individual office, where you do not control power or HVAC.

But where there are totally seperate suites

The city and or electric company wants seperate meters.

As he initally stated, it is not a mall, appears to be a strip center. Past experience indicates that without full height separation (demising) walls fires can spread across attic spaces and bad guys can enter through ceilings. Best practice to go with full height separation walls.

"Tenant separation" not required other than malls by base code unless it aligns with a fire barrier for some reason (occ sep or fire area, etc)