• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Where's Uncle Bob?

Thank you for the update Jeff. At least we know he's still around, even if he's not being vocal. I miss him.

Uncle Bob's Code is the UBBC (Uncle Bob's Building Code, there is also the UBMC, Uncle Bob's Mechanical Code, the UBPC, Uncle Bob's Plumbing Code, etc.), he's starting off where Hammurabi left off.

conarb said:
Uncle Bob's Code is the UBBC (Uncle Bob's Building Code, there is also the UBMC, Uncle Bob's Mechanical Code, the UBPC, Uncle Bob's Plumbing Code, etc.), he's starting off where Hammurabi left off.
There is five minutes of my life I wish I had back.

Uncle Bobs Code

UB's Building Code

« Thread Started on Mar 24, 2011, 1:21pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to start writting my own Building Code here. Each code requirement will be under the appropriate topic.

This UBBC includes requirements for both new and remodeling/renovating of existing single family dwellings.

We are heading in the wrong direction in government code requirements. The codes have been taken over by commericial interests and "Merchant Builders".

The electric code is a perfect example. Every code cycle; we see a new product driven code requirement. GFCI's, then AFCI's , and then Combination AFCI's; and Combination GFCI/AFCI's. What is next?

The cost of of just one, "required" electric duplex receptacle has gone up from (todays prices for all) $0.59 cents (for a standard UL Listed duplex receptacle) to from $12.00 to $16.00 and more (for the others). And, the safety factor does not justify the increase.

What I will be posting in the various code sections; is only an example of what needs to be done; to bring us back to sanity. I am; using the IRC and the older CABO books as a base; writting what I believe is a building code that;

1. Reduces the costs of building and remodeling,

2. Maintains "reasonable" saftey requirements,

3. Removes hazardous building materials,

4. Reduces energy waste and costs,

5. Creates a healthy built environlment, and,

6. Provides buildings that willl last for more than one hundred years with minimal maintenance.

At the advice of members it shall be known as the UBBC.

Uncle Bob