• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Where's Uncle Bob?

This is the best code forum. I will happily contribute a donation. I am not paying for any service or goods, i am merely donating to a good cause. This mentality allows me to enjoy my free message board.

packsaddle said:
According to the banner at the top of the page, you have to donate money to "keep this forum free for everyone".I'm no financial analyst, but if you donate money to this forum then, technically, it is no longer "free".

Also, you have to donate money to view "private areas".......similar to prostitution.
pack, prostitution? A little strong? The cow screwed all of us over on the old board and their legecy continues. (and I didn't even get a kiss) We all know that. This site brought back a lot of old friends and a heck of a lot of new ones. I sent jar 20 bucks to keep this deal going (big deal) by choice thinking that this site is well worth while. My choice and I don't feel like a prostitute. Been accused of worse. Please do not take this as a personal attack. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Have always enjoyed and learned from you posts. Keep'em coming!

I hope UB may decide to come back but as high desert said it "is his choice. Let it be".

When I discovered this forum a few months back, UB posted expressing warm thoughts and gratitude towards the people on this forum for helping him through a tough period in his life.

Now, he seems angry at Jeff because Jeff made some forum management decisions, vetted out in these threads, that UB does not agree with . . . angry enough to quit?

I can't figure it out either. I am just going to add it to the long list of things I can't figure out.

Pack with all due respect that is a little harsh since,

The site is free for Joe Public and others as the base group who found their way here agreed to when that crappy organization's ego deflated the old board. I see it still maintaining that mission.

You can go to church for years and listen to all the message, enjoy all the things offered by that church and never put a dime in the plate and you can do the same here. If you are lead to give financial support to help Jeff offset the expenses great if not you still can enjoy and learn.

mtlogcabin said:
You can go to church for years and listen to all the message, enjoy all the things offered by that church and never put a dime in the plate and you can do the same here. If you are lead to give financial support to help Jeff offset the expenses great if not you still can enjoy and learn.
Amen.

I made the choice to donate because I feel that this board is an invaluable resource, especially for those of us who live in small remote areas. I have no budget to travel six hours to attend a semianar, or buy all the books I should have.

Sue, where the west still lives.......with snow and more snow predicted........black ice anyone?

I am personally saddened by UB's choice to 'leave the forum and not come back.' I donated money to help Jeff, not to get any perks or private areas for selfish reasons. Jeff will not survive on my donation, even when I send it monthly. Jeff stepped up to the plate in a flurry of activity that saved a good thing: a codes forum that fills a huge need for me, and obviously for many others. Some people can't afford to donate. Those of us that can do so voluntarily, and I don't imagine that we think we're magnanimous, but we do think we're doing a little bit to help. Those that don't help still get to use the site. What is the big huge deal? Freedom is not free. Free isn't even free: someone has to provide. Gifts are free to the receiver and carry no obligation other than 'thank you.'

Thank you Jeff for providing. Accept the donations and put them to good use. And, if the donations don't keep up with the costs, let us know. Maybe we can wrangle a more magnanimous benefactor to step up to the plate.

In the mean time, UB, if you are out there and realize that we're missing you: come back.

Carol... out west where the independent people move to, only to be set upon by the scaredy cats who didn't want to be first. :-O

I'm gonna miss UB...... Now I only get to wrestle with Conarb. I heard UB was starting a residential fire sprinkler business in Southern California :devil

OK, you convinced me, I just donated to the church of Codes. Who's our patron saint?

Packsaddle - this is not prostitution, because even though I paid my money, when it comes to the unorthodox things I propose on the forums it's more likely I'm still gonna hear a "no" rather than "yes" response.

I guess in that regard, it's more like a marriage :)

Really sad to hear the UB decided to not play nice, I too really valued the contributions he made.

I think this forum is a truly valuable resource and wish to thank Jeff again for putting up his own money and time to rescue us when the Cow decided to cut us off. BTW, I also just added money to the fund and plan to do so every month.

cboboggs said:
Really sad to hear the UB decided to not play nice, I too really valued the contributions he made. I think this forum is a truly valuable resource and wish to thank Jeff again for putting up his own money and time to rescue us when the Cow decided to cut us off. BTW, I also just added money to the fund and plan to do so every month.
I just love it when the "cow" is quoted.View attachment 811View attachment 395

View attachment 395

/monthly_2010_09/cow-fire.jpg.9bce69ea8d18277a82224372281d5359.jpg

Well, I for one certainly hope UB reconsiders. He is surely missed as evidenced by THREE pages of laments.

As yet I have not donated to the cause, but only because of persoanl financial limitations at this time. My intent is to donate when and what I am able. Don't know if I'd avail myself of the 'donators only' areas, maybe I will, maybe I won't.

I do know that I've gotten some darn fast (and accurate) replies to requests for information/pics/etc.

This forum is the best one that I have found for Code related issues and occasionally just some good fun.