• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Where's Uncle Bob?

UB, Come back in your own time. Give me a call. I have a surprize for you that you will not believe!!! Please pm me!

Yes! I have also emailed him regarding his leaving. At some point I will contact him again on the matter. Sometimes it is better to just let things cool off and approach with a fresh outlook.

Uncle Bob does not participate on this forum. He is not cooling off, and is not coming back; it is not negotiable. He just is not interested in participating on this bulletin board.

I will check this forum from time to time to let some old friends know; when they inquire.

Bob

Uncle Bob said:
Uncle Bob does not participate on this forum. He is not cooling off, and is not coming back; it is not negotiable. He just is not interested in participating on this bulletin board.I will check this forum from time to time to let some old friends know; when they inquire.

Bob
I am getting a little concerned that uncle bob is talking about himself in the third person.

I'm an Architect lurker that always appreciated UB's perspective. Hopefully he'll pop in from time to time just to make sure everyone is staying focused on code compliance!

Thanks, UB, for your perspective and guidance!

(back to lurkin' and learnin' ...)

UB,

Was it something I typed?

Hope it's not small town politics getting him down or those darn city filters!

pc1

mark handler said:
I know he was having some privacy issues with the new website.
Privacy issues or issues with the private area for forum supporters?

If there are privacy issues, I would like to know what they are as no information is collected from anyone who visits here.

If you remember, He was upset about targeted ads that appeared in the Google ads, That identified the city he was in.

That's why I tried to tell him how to erase his cookies

I can't speak for him but that was a issue

Target ads such as that one use the ip to determine what area your isp is in. In my case, they are never even close as the isp is far away. They only know the isp location for the area that serves you. If the isp happens to be in the location you live in then you think it is accurate when it really has no idea. Most every website does this, not just this one. No sense in even logging onto the internet if that is how paranoid someone is.

According to the banner at the top of the page, you have to donate money to "keep this forum free for everyone".

I'm no financial analyst, but if you donate money to this forum then, technically, it is no longer "free".

Also, you have to donate money to view "private areas".......similar to prostitution.

packsaddle said:
According to the banner at the top of the page, you have to donate money to "keep this forum free for everyone".I'm no financial analyst, but if you donate money to this forum then, technically, it is no longer "free".

Also, you have to donate money to view "private areas".......similar to prostitution.
I cannot support this website by myself financially or technically. There is no fee to join or maintain active registration. If you want to post, you will have to register. If you don't want to post then you can always visit as a guest and still read the forums. If you want to donate money to this site to offset the financial burden that I have undertaken then you will get a perk by being allowed access to a newly created part of this site that is private and not public. It is a perk, a bonus. You don't have to donate money to use this forum at all but you will not get the same perk as those that do.

The amount of work that gets put into this forum is growing on a daily basis and I have to spend a lot of time doing it for free. I get lots of private messages and lots of emails that require my attention when people lose their password, have a problem with someone elses post, are having a technical difficulty, etc, etc, etc. I am not going to work for free then pay thousands of dollars per year to maintain a website for the benefit of the world. I will work for free for this site but I am not independently wealthy. The server is the single largest expense followed by backup space, routine maintenance costs for an IT company to perform tasks beyond my capabilities such as upgrades and ad ons that are routinely requested. I get a lot of email and messages asking for website changes and try to accommodate as much as I can.

You are right, you don't have to be a financial analyst but the site is free for those that use it. For those that have voluntarily donated money in support of this site, it may not be free but they are making a choice. No one is forcing anyone to send money. In your case, you are using this for free but I will not allow you the same perks as those that have selflessly donated money. They deserve something for their support.

Don't know what has your panties in a bunch, but this site does not cost you anything. It costs me thousands of dollars that I pony'd up front so I appreciate those that have voluntarily donated. Without those donations, you would be seeing banner ads all over this site because in order for this free site to exist, someone has to pay for it.

I can always take my ball and go home too but I choose to maintain this site as a commitment I made to the members from day 1 when the ICC boned everyone else.

In my opinion, this is the best code forum, period. The members here are what makes it great. It is a shame that anyone would choose to leave, because we all lose a little something when they do. But in the end, it is their choice. I'm with High Desert; let it go.